Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The spread of Wild boar

The spread of Wild boar

I went to a very interesting meeting a week ago. The meeting was a Jägareförbundet (Sweden’s largest hunting org) and LRF (Swedish NFU) talk on the spread of wild boar in our area.
    Sweden is 10 years ahead of the UK in the spread of boar. One thing of interest was the number of boar shot . From the early 8o’s up to the year 2000 the numbers of boar shot stayed at a very slowly rising numbers. From the early 2000s the number has dramatically increase.
    It was predicted about 4 years ago that we would be shooting more boar than moose by the year 2011 (90,000 ) This number would have been surpassed but for 2 very cold winters that set back the boar. 2 more normal winters since have got the boar population making up for lost time. 80,000 boar shot 2011
    Boar numbers double every 2,7 years. 90-95% of boar are killed by hunting. Only 20% of boar make it over 2 years old. RTA’s involving boar rose from about 400, year 2003 to 4500, 2011.
    Sweden has yet to reach the boar explosion yet. We are lucky in that we can use dogs to hunt boar but that is only one hunting method used here.

​So for all you people who can’t wait for the boar to arrive on your patch in the UK. Be very careful what you wish for.

Interesting read but,I assume we are starting from a very much lower population figure.How do you calculate 10 years behind??

I wish.... oh how I wish....

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I went to a very interesting meeting a week ago. The meeting was a Jägareförbundet (Sweden’s largest hunting org) and LRF (Swedish NFU) talk on the spread of wild boar in our area.
    Sweden is 10 years ahead of the UK in the spread of boar. One thing of interest was the number of boar shot . From the early 8o’s up to the year 2000 the numbers of boar shot stayed at a very slowly rising numbers. From the early 2000s the number has dramatically increase.
    It was predicted about 4 years ago that we would be shooting more boar than moose by the year 2011 (90,000 ) This number would have been surpassed but for 2 very cold winters that set back the boar. 2 more normal winters since have got the boar population making up for lost time. 80,000 boar shot 2011
    Boar numbers double every 2,7 years. 90-95% of boar are killed by hunting. Only 20% of boar make it over 2 years old. RTA’s involving boar rose from about 400, year 2003 to 4500, 2011.
    Sweden has yet to reach the boar explosion yet. We are lucky in that we can use dogs to hunt boar but that is only one hunting method used here.

​So for all you people who can’t wait for the boar to arrive on your patch in the UK. Be very careful what you wish for.
    It was interesting meeting you on the dogs for deer day and discussing the wild boar issue with you.
    I passed on your words of wisdom about not shooting the lead sow to a guy I met the other day who says the boar have just arrived at a golf course he looks after.
    Sadly as I said to you at the time, I think the spread will be slower in the UK. Partly because they are not protected by any season and partly because of the wide use of night vision and increasingly thermal imaging. Both of those are not allowed in your country and I believe they are also protected by a season?
    There is always a fear of the unknown and farmers (as has been seen on a recent thread) do not want boar. It is a pity as I am sure that any sporting revenue will far outstrip any cost of putting the land right.
    I think the boar are spreading slowly but that is probably due to mis-management as much as an increase in numbers
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Interesting read but,I assume we are starting from a very much lower population figure.How do you calculate 10 years behind??
    They Started here in the mid 70's just the same as in the UK with boar that escaped. So they did not start with great numbers.

teyan1 The boar population were mismanaged here as well in the begining. Its been a learning curve and many lessons have been learned and are still being learned.
    Its like the spread of Muntjac. First not many then knee deep. Boar are smarter than munties and learn very quick. The UK must have the ideal climate and habitat for boar. How is the UK controling the spread of Munties?
    Glynn, remember what I've said about boar in 20 years time

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    I wish.... oh how I wish....
    +1

Yes, be careful what you wish for. New Zealand has no rules or seasons to take pigs, yet we have a major pig problem here. Last year we took 76 off wild pigs off our farm, and this year already we are up to 57. Every pig gets shot on sight, yet we are not winning the battle-they breed at an astronomical rate.

Pigs are abundent on the land that I own. The major problem with pigs down here is not so much the pigs but the illegal pig doggers who poach them & the associated criminal activity. I'm happy to manage the pigs as a hunting resource,but when I have multiple groups of poachers hunting with dogs on any given night ,& then add the associated stock losses from lost dogs & the threats from the poachers I dob in to the police. Can you see why pigs are seen as a problem.
    I hate 1080 but its better than having pigdoggers poaching & 1000 times more effective at removing the pigs.

Cheers Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Pigs are abundent on the land that I own. The major problem with pigs down here is not so much the pigs but the illegal pig doggers who poach them & the associated criminal activity. I'm happy to manage the pigs as a hunting resource,but when I have multiple groups of poachers hunting with dogs on any given night ,& then add the associated stock losses from lost dogs & the threats from the poachers I dob in to the police. Can you see why pigs are seen as a problem.
    I hate 1080 but its better than having pigdoggers poaching & 1000 times more effective at removing the pigs.

Cheers Sharkey

Sorry for my ignorance but,what is "1080"???

Poison that kills non native species.