Thread: First day playing with my 30 06, opinions?

First day playing with my 30 06, opinions?

I finally picked up my Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 today from my local RFD - the rifle was a good deal and is in very good condition for the most part and I had the local gunsmith look over the rifle, inspect the bore etc which looks to be in very good condition - the one bad point is the crown - it looks as though it has been left with the mod on with moisture between it at some point and has corroded the crown and first quarter inch of the barrel badly - my local gun smith suggested that I take it out - shoot it and see how it behaves as it may be fine (I have seen a lot of rilfles that do not get cleaned yet still shoot accurate) so decided to take it out, mount and set up the scope, I bought two different variants of rounds to test with, 1 box of Norma 150gr BT's and one box of Federal 125gr SP's.....

The rifle has a cheap Leapers (100) scope on it at the moment and a JMS Arms stainless mod - it also came with the original synthetic "lite" stock.

There was a slight right to left breeze but nothing major and all shots were taken off the bonnet leaning the fore end on a half full bag of wheat - no bipods or rear rest. and the Shoot'N C tarhets are the 3" diameter versions - I sighted in with the norma's at 50 yards and first shot was about 12" high and a few inches left - not bad considering i didn't bore sight it....I adjusted it down and got it sitting 3" above the target and moved back to 104 yards (range finder confirmed)

My first 3 shot goup was 2" right and about 1-2" high as it strung up the way between the 3 shots, I was leaving it to cool for maybe 10 odd mins between 3 shot groups so it was cool but not cold - I adjusted the scope left about 8 clicks.

In between I decided to shoot a 10 shot group with my Win 94 22LR - first group at 50 yards, and second at 68 yards which I was pretty happy with 2 fliers in each group but no big deal.

My second group with the 30-06 was above the bull 1 1/2-3" and slightl towards the right so i gave it 2 clicks left.

I then shot a group with my 243 just to let the 30-06 cool - this group was as expected as the Sauer is superbly accurate even with me pulling the trigger!

My friend then had a shot with the 30-06 and this shot 1-2" above the bull and slightly leaning right - this was shot with the federal 125gr BT's which surprised me as i thought they would shoot high.

after letting it cool for 5 mins I took three shots using the 125gr federals and the groups centre was around an inch high but slightly left - I decided to leave it at this as all shots were within a 5-6" circle and everyone of the shots would be a dead stag/fox/roe/boar and i usually like my rifles to shoot about an inch and a half high to cover the usual 100-200yard range.

I know the groupings are around 2"-3" per three shot group but i put this down to the first time shooting this rifle and maybe getting a factory round it likes as I have only tried the two variants.

My question is based on whether people think I should leave the crown and test some more ammo and shoot more groups or get the barrel re-cut to freshen up the crown.

I should note this rifle will be used for 95% stalking/game - with the odd day plinking for the hell of it.

Any suggestions welcome...

please see pics attached to g with the writeup..

Regards,

GixerAttachment 27733Attachment 27738Attachment 27736Attachment 27735Attachment 27734Attachment 27737Attachment 27731Attachment 27732

gun go bang! deer fall over...

Trying to find a good homeload should make a difference before getting stuck into other options. The rifle should do better than you have so far managed but you should consider better optics too.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    gun go bang! deer fall over...

Trying to find a good homeload should make a difference before getting stuck into other options. The rifle should do better than you have so far managed but you should consider better optics too.

Paul,

there will be better optics going on it in the very near future - this scope was only put on as it came with it, I'm also sure that getting used to it will shrink the group size as its a different type of recoil than the 243/308's - sounds odd but I always think. 30-06 is a slower but slightly more forceful recoil...

regards,
    Gixer

Great looking rifle, a nice purchase. Looking for something similar myself in 30-06. Will PM you with a question.

The rifle will do good things shortly, best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by willyroe View Post
    Great looking rifle, a nice purchase. Looking for something similar myself in 30-06. Will PM you with a question.
    Willy,

no problem, PM away....

regards,
    ​Gixer

They are all dead deer, and not bad for a new unfamiliar rifle. But before spending a lot of money on ammo trying to get it to shoot better I would have it re crowned, just to take out that variable. But if you are happy with it go and shoot it.