Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Chainsaw

I am now sorted so I have edited my post.
    What I will say is this-
    Thank you for all the constructive comments, very very good advice on this thread.

TJ
    Last edited by tartinjock; 03-05-2013 at 17:55.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Don't buy of eBay. Go to a local dealer and buy a second hand one. You will get peace of mind and something decent!

probably wise to stay away until you have had the saw in your hands and used it. in my experience the cheaper saws generally end up with dissapointment. something has usaully been over-looked, the oiler is in a rubbish place for example or the chain adjuster is poorly made and breaks. frustrating stuff that costs to be fixed. In15+ years of chainsaw training i have pretty much seen them all!!and the pattern seems to repeat. That said some of the major manufacturers have made some horrors aswell
    Ade
    Big bloke... but outta shape

I've had a Ryobi chainsaw for 6 yrs and it is a reliable entry level saw. I wouldn't buy one from ebay though.

Established Poster
    As already advised go to a dealers to buy a saw i would recomend Husqvarna or a Stihl. Dont try cutting windblown trees unless you have received proper training as they are very unforgiven as a few unlucky people i know of found out.
    I know what im talking about as been in the Tree industry(Forestry & Arboriculture) 23 years

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Tartinjock.
    I own a garden machinery shop. I see all sorts of good and bad stuff come through. Please do your wallet a favour and stay away from any unbranded chinese rubbish. The problem with their machines is not that they don't or won't run, it's that when they break, and they will, try finding parts for them. Most don't exist. Also stay away from f-ing Ryobi and most McCulloch.
    The best small entry saw in my opinion is the Stihl MS180 without all of the easy start rubbish on it. If you look after it, it'll probably see you out!!

Here's what I recommend to all my customers.
    When you have finished off using your saw and you don't expect to use it for 6wks, empty out all the fuel. Start and then run the machine until it stops. Always use fresh fuel when restarting as fuel can go off in as little as 2 months!!
    The biggest problems we have is with fuel canisters that collect condensation and the that gets into the carb and is left causing aluminium rust. The other big problem is fuel evaporation over a long period gumming up the carb. Always empty your machine if not using for any length of time and then run it, there will still be fuel in the fuel line and filter.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Cheers for all the info, very much appreciated. I now have a direction in which to head!

​TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

As someone who spends a lot of their time on the saw, i'd echo what's been said above Tartinjock.

Stick with known makes; Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered, etc, try and buy from a dealer so you've got some comeback if you've any issues, and you won't go far wrong.

For the useage you've described i'd be looking at a Makita/Dolmar personally. They actually make a damn good saw nowadays, and can be had for a fair bit less than the others above.

Quick safety disclaimer.... make sure you've got your PPE & training sorted & buy a packet of CELOX to keep in your pocket
    Last edited by Wheesht!; 30-04-2013 at 21:07.

As above but...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheesht! View Post
    & buy a packet of CELOX to keep in your pocket
    a compression bandage/large wound dressing would be much more useful in most circumstances IMO.