Thread: Muntjac buthered and meat weight

Muntjac buthered and meat weight

I shot a nice Muntjac doe yesterday evening, skinned and butchered it this morning, which took about an hour.

Clean meat, off the bone:

• 1Kg Casserole/sausage meat
    • 1Kg Striploin and Fillet
    • 2Kg leg steaks
    • 700Gr liver and kidney.

I don't know what the retail value would be - but I would guestimate from say 8Kg for the cheaper cuts to 30Kg for the striploin (?) but say 20/Kg on average so you're looking at 95-100 retail IF I was a butcher selling it.

Who said there was no value in a Muntjac carcass? Your game dealer? Hmm. Make him think again!

I'm not sure a butcher could sell it for that much, he'd need customers who were pretty clued-up about venison. Most seem to just generically refer to venison without specifying the species. I don't think that most customers really understand that there are different types of venison.

I just ate muntjac for the first time last night. I found the loin very tender, but perhaps not as flavoursome as roe. But my wife said the opposite, so maybe there isn't much in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I'm not sure a butcher could sell it for that much, he'd need customers who were pretty clued-up about venison. Most seem to just generically refer to venison without specifying the species. I don't think that most customers really understand that there are different types of venison.
    It is better than that, venison could be the meat of any game animal, not just deer...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I shot a nice Muntjac doe yesterday evening, skinned and butchered it this morning, which took about an hour.

Clean meat, off the bone:

• 1Kg Casserole/sausage meat
    • 1Kg Striploin and Fillet
    • 2Kg leg steaks
    • 700Gr liver and kidney.

I don't know what the retail value would be - but I would guestimate from say 8Kg for the cheaper cuts to 30Kg for the striploin (?) but say 20/Kg on average so you're looking at 95-100 retail IF I was a butcher selling it.

Who said there was no value in a Muntjac carcass? Your game dealer? Hmm. Make him think again!
    I'll sell you with a few munty carcasses ... Head or neck shot only for 50 a carcass ... Should easily double your money on each one...!!!!

I have never sold a Muntjac but always give them to friends, who are capable of skinning and butchering the carcass. I get satisfaction from knowing they have enjoyed the venison. I think one does well to get 12lbs of good useable meat from an average Muntjac carcass.

It is not altogether altruistic as most game dealers don't want to pay 10 for a Muntjac carcass so burning the diesel etc. would create an immediate loss.

Now a nice 80lb Fallow pricket.... well that a different matter altogether and well worth getting the butchering kit out and the freezer stocked. Makes my mouth water just to think of those medallions and steaks. Where is that griddle pan ?

Well,being a Dealer and Processor i can tell you that going by your weights I would be making 68,i will also say that I pay .50p LB for Muntjac carcasses and I always go into detail with my customers as what species the Deer may be and even where it was shot,they really appreciate the fact that they know just a little bit more about the meat they are eating,I might also add that I am not cheap,so anyone getting 100 from a carcass has my highest regard

Martin

Add in time, premises, equipment, vac pack bags etc and that profit soon gets eaten into.

Fallow and the bigger species definitely make more financial sense.

​K

Quote Originally Posted by Fallow Buck View Post
    Add in time, premises, equipment, vac pack bags etc and that profit soon gets eaten into.

Fallow and the bigger species definitely make more financial sense.

​K
    Out of your list, the vac pack bags are the only marginal cost associated with selling the meat. The rest of the costs are already committed. As for time, you would only do it if you had the time.