Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Rod

Cleaning Rod

If I was to buy a rod for my .243 & 7mm from tipton, one says .22-.26 and the other is >.26
    Would the smaller one be alright for the 7mm to save buying two?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

If you find 7mm cleaning gear, let me know, I've had no luck. I was planning on ordering some online from Germany.

If its just 7mm you need Tipton do .26 up rod
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I have Tipton 22 rod and use it in my Hornet and 6.5X55. OK it flex a wee bit but not enough to make bore contact.

K
    Ps: Always dificult to focus on my posts when below one of BK's!

Buy two the correct size, too much flex and the rod will touch the bore, any dirt will score the lands...

​I have rods in each calibre I shoot - tipton are expensive, but cheaper than a re-barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    If you find 7mm cleaning gear, let me know, I've had no luck. I was planning on ordering some online from Germany.
    I've not long had some off Stalkers uk,the jag I got was labelled.270 and 7mm and the nylon brushes were labelled .270 but they seem fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    i have 7mm here
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I only have one rod but use it through 222Rem, 6mm, 25-20, 6.5, 32-20, .360 up to 308W with no dramas - trick is to get the correct bore guide for your rifle action and have the chamber insert to match the cartridge and buy a decent quality (expensive) rod to start with. then make sure that you have a robust rest to cradle the rifle whilst you clean it. Never had any issue with rods flexing, but if a nylon coated rod is gong to damage your barrel then something is wrong somewhere...

Not wanting to promote any business in particular, but have bought all mine from Reloading Solutions. Don't recall the make of rod, Dewey(?) perhaps, but jags and brushes all readily available from RSD, Norman Clark, etc. (Norman is at all major meetings at Bisley and will bring stuff down if ordered in advance) - if you get the right size spear tipped jags you can then fine tune bore cleaning by choice of patch size etc.

Cheers.

P.S. agree with K about the distractive properties of the harmonic motion experiment...

i use a .22 rod for all mine up to .270

think if you are worried about scoring the bore with a plastic coated rod doing 6" per second then you should probably put it back in the cabinet and stop shooting
    All rods flex and touch the bore, makes no difference if the rod is 5mm diameter or 6.5mm diameter

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    i use a .22 rod for all mine up to .270

think if you are worried about scoring the bore with a plastic coated rod doing 6" per second then you should probably put it back in the cabinet and stop shooting
    All rods flex and touch the bore, makes no difference if the rod is 5mm diameter or 6.5mm diameter
    +1 - if that was a concern to the barrel we are all in trouble!