Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British Telecom

British Telecom

Just wondered what other companies members use for their internet and phone line provider. I have had enough of BT, their customer service stinks and talking to an office in Bangalore everytime you call them is a joke. It would seem that after being with them for over 30 years that the company have lost touch with their customers.

I could think of a few names to go with BT but will refrain from making remarks on an open forum
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Plusnet have been spot on and although I think they're owned by BT they have so far retained some independence

On the few occasions I've had to speak to them I've always got put through to someone with an English accent who I can understand and understands me.On the last occasion I was put through to a lad that lived five miles down the road

Quote Originally Posted by Wsm View Post
    Plusnet have been spot on and although I think they're owned by BT they have so far retained some independence

On the few occasions I've had to speak to them I've always got put through to someone with an English accent who I can understand and understands me.On the last occasion I was put through to a lad that lived five miles down the road
    +1

We recently went over to Plusnet from BT too. No problems, smooth transfer and kept us updated of when the transfer would be complete.

Ironically, they are owned by BT......

Sikamalc, you're not alone. As well as treating the everyday man in the street poorly, we've found more and more large companies and public organizations are finding that BT are providing a very poor maintenance service to its customers. There was a recent fiber circuit installation that BT had installed for a large public service in North Wales that had gone wrong. It turned out BT installed the circuit into the wrong part of a jointly owned building. When they were asked to re-install the NT into the correct part of the building, BT turned around and said they would have to charge for a full years rental and then ask for another installation charge on top - even though they made the mistake!

Regarding broadband though, what most people might not realize is that even though you might have your contract with Virgin or Talk Talk, it's BT that actually own the cable/switch infrastructure. But the good bit is that if you have a contract with the likes of Virgin or Talk Talk, it means that BT have an contractual Service Lender Agreement with them and when you report a fault to Virgin, Virgin then report the fault to BT who have to respond within the agreed time to Virgin or they get fined. Hey presto - hence you get a better service from the other service providers.

Take your time choosing a new service provider and do your research online before choosing one. They all promise the world but a lot fail to mention throttling back bandwidth during peak periods, maximum usage allowances and also contention rates (shared usage back at the BT exchange). Often Business broadband packages provide a lower contention rate of say around 25 to 1 users as opposed to 50 to 1 for personal use and this does make quiet a difference to performance of the broadband.

If you get stuck give me a shout and I’ll try my best to help you out with anything – I run a small network installation company in North Wales.
    Last edited by Roelander; 01-05-2013 at 14:45.

We had awful problems with BT customer service. We cannot get landline Broadband and were on dialup - one day, BT just pulled the service, no notice no explanation and just insults from their non UK based call centre. We opted for Sat Broadband from Tooway - more expensive than landline packages, but far faster, more reliable connection. Added benefit is that although we have no mobile signal where we live, my technical consultant (Mrs Harry) can make calls on her mobile somehow using the Tooway wireless hub - all beyond me..

Now on PlusNet for internet...not sure who the phone is through, will ask swmbo as she sorted it all out

Eclipse Internet for broadband and have been for the last 8 years, (touch wood) no major problems and they are based in Devon so easy to get hold of and their tech people actually know what they are talking about!

​Phone wise we use a voip solution and its all managed by a company called Lister Communications who are based by Gloucester, best thing is our land lines ring to our iphones when we are out and about and not via a call forwarding package.

Blog Entries
    I recently moved from Plusnet to BT at home. I had a problem with broadband speed for 2 years and Plusnet just were not interested in diagnosing it. My move to BT came with 6 months free and some cut price handsets. Problem solved within 3 weeks.

Depending on where you live you may only have a BT service rebadged anyway.

Sky do some good deals. Zen Internet have always had a top notch rep for service.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I've got Utility Warehouse doing phone, broadband, electric and mobile - - find them ideal - - simples !

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "