Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mono block dog run base ?

mono block dog run base ?

finally round to getting my back door landscaped, in a previous thread i was asking about a concrete base with a soakaway drain, initially this was the plan but my landscaper said he can use block with sealant to stop smell in the joints and still have a run to my soakaway, and would tie in better with the rest of the garden, have went for this option, has anyone else used sealed block paving for a base ? is it as good as concrete ? cheers

Nope. Normal wear and tear wears the sealant away as it doesn't penetrate down far enough. You'll have to reapply occasionally.
    ​I looked into it once and the company couldn't guarantee beyond 24months nor that the waterproofing wasn't toxic to dogs with lengthy exposure.

Never used block as a base but I think you will regret it big style. Urine and the other stuff will get into the joints between the blocks. Concrete is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jigga View Post
    finally round to getting my back door landscaped, in a previous thread i was asking about a concrete base with a soakaway drain, initially this was the plan but my landscaper said he can use block with sealant to stop smell in the joints and still have a run to my soakaway, and would tie in better with the rest of the garden, have went for this option, has anyone else used sealed block paving for a base ? is it as good as concrete ? cheers
    Sounds like your Builder hasnt got a clue either.

Use a sub base of type 1 about 150 mm then 100 mm of concrete slump it will go off in 24 hours ,mono block will lift and move with the ground movement especially as you'll be using water to wash out the kennel area .if you use a skim of concerte it will crack in no time at all, do it right the first time is the simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Sounds like your Builder hasnt got a clue either.

Use a sub base of type 1 about 150 mm then 100 mm of concrete slump it will go off in 24 hours ,mono block will lift and move with the ground movement especially as you'll be using water to wash out the kennel area .if you use a skim of concerte it will crack in no time at all, do it right the first time is the simple solution.
    +1
    ​When i lived in England i had a concrete base in my dog kennels. I coated the concrete with top grade industrial 2 pack epoxy that i borrowed from work. I was very suprised how quick the dogs went thrue the top coating of epoxy.

My original kennel/run was on to slabs and while it done ok for a few years, not as good as the concrete now, monoblocking has a lot off joints for urine/water to get down.

U ention the mono block would lok beeter with the rest of garden. U can get stenciled concrete which u could stencil similar to the mono blocking? The stencil is pretty hard wearing althou it is ruff so defeats some off the purpose of having a concrete run, also the small size might be a problem to get someone in to do it. Just a thought to look into?

I think you"ll find that you need to disinfect as often as possible, I layed blocks for a living and there good for what there designed for but as you can see on them they have nibs on the end which gives then a gap for silver sand, so it doesn't matter how much sealer goes on them theres still a gap that urine will get between, id recommend a soft brush with watered down jays fluid and don't blast it up close with a pressure washer as the water will get through said gaps and wash out the bed underneath

+ 1 on all of the above .when the dogs moult the hair will get in the cracks between the blocks also and a bugger to wash out ,gotta be concrete !
    ​Norma

Ceremic Floor tiles? mate runs a commercial kennel business and uses floor tiles grouted level, looks tidy. But when u go round to his gundog side all just the concrete, tiles are just for show really for the pet dog owners

Concrete every time, nothing else compares.