Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annealing your brass

Annealing your brass

Does anyone out there in SD world anneal their brass and if so after how many outings so to speak and is it worth doing given the fact that 100 cases of lapur in 30-06 is 96

www.riflebrassrefurb.co.uk
    defffo worth it,ask anyone whos had it done
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 01-05-2013 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Drag1 View Post
    Does anyone out there in SD world anneal their brass and if so after how many outings so to speak and is it worth doing given the fact that 100 cases of lapur in 30-06 is 96
    Nope. Never done it. It's an art, and tricky to get right. I'd rather not rely on a third party to prepare brass, or load for me either.

You don't have to pay that sort of money. Verifiable once-fired is obtainable at around 20 if you're stuck. I discard mine after 6 firings as a routine.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I anneal after every fourth firing at present. May increase the frequency of annealing in the future. In an ideal world, funds permitting, I would anneal every time. I have some Remington 260 Rem brass on its tenth firing. Regards JCS

I have just acquired 2 induction heaters for the purpose of precise temperature and area controlled annealing
    Not quite the finished article but on my list of things to finish building

as below:

I also use the service from riflebrass refurb after 4 firings and am amazed by the results , why use someone else's alleged once fired when annealing brings your own brass up to an as new standard ?
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

As a control would these be easier to use, can be bought from most welding supplies.
    Tempil Temperature Indicators - Buy Tempil Temperature Indicators Online

Neil.

I do all my own with a cordless drill, lee lock stud, propane torch and pliers (the lock stud gets a bit warm). I anneal all my 308 on their 2nd firing, and they're on about 12 firings now.
    The difference you notice when seating is HUGE. Take a 3-5 times cartridge and seat a bullet, and then take a freshly annealed one and seat a bullet, and the difference in force required for the two is worlds apart. The freshly annealed one is very smooth, and takes little pressure, but the 3/4/5/how-ever-many-times-fired brass takes a lot more effort and feels rough.

Obviously it depends on how stiff (or not) your reloads are, but from a consistency and brass longevity point of view, the annealed brass has the edge every time.
    The main thing for me is neck tension - if I can feel that much neck tension using my press with a huge amount of compound leverage, how many more time magnified is the neck tension that the bullet experiences? So the reload will gradually change over the amount of brass firings, until you have an almost entirely different result from when you first created the load.

As I say, this is mostly affected by how hot your load is, but the effect is inevitable.

Take 5-10 used brass cartridges that you could possibly sacrifice if you get it wrong, and start trying it out for yourself with the tools listed above.

I looked at doing this with my brass, we use about 100 .308 per month outdoor target shooting and about 50 a month loaded down for 25m indoor range use (so almost no case expansion). In the end it was cheaper to buy guaranteed once fired RWS brass and use that.

I've not had any problems with grouping, I still have 50 of my original Lapua brass which has been shot 8 times and still shoots 1/2moa at 100/200m.

Quote Originally Posted by pierred View Post
    I also use the service from riflebrass refurb after 4 firings and am amazed by the results , why use someone else's alleged once fired when annealing brings your own brass up to an as new standard ?
    I have an endless supply of known once-fired, so no need to bother faffing about.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.