Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suitable calibre for Lion?

Suitable calibre for Lion?

I am in the process of renewing my FAC and have added a .375H&H mag to the wish list.
    I predominantly wanted a double rifle for Boar, but have just had the spark of an idea to visit Africa for hunting rather than work!
    I am beginning to get the idea of taking a lion as a once in a lifetime experience.
    Would a .375 H&H mag be enough gun or do I need to look for something bigger?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

I regularly take lions at 300-400m with my .22. Just a question of shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I regularly take lions at 300-400m with my .22. Just a question of shot placement.
    That is a stupid thing to say!

You should NEVER shoot a Lion with a 22 above about 250m.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Ah but I want to get closer than 250 metres.
    I'm more of a stalker than a sniper!
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

Hope you are using the correct bullets A.max's...
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

The HMR is a well proven Lion round . . .just be sure to check the necks for cracks as you don't want to take risks. . .

Don't bother.

They taste horrible.

Quite seriously I used to shoot lions on a regular basis. In fact they were one of my first spicies shot. Great with a bit of breaze. I used .177 Diana model 27. The skill was to cut the stalk and watch the head drop. We are talking the dandy sub spicies are we not?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Quite seriously I used to shoot lions on a regular basis. In fact they were one of my first spicies shot. Great with a bit of breaze. I used .177 Diana model 27. The skill was to cut the stalk and watch the head drop. We are talking the dandy sub spicies are we not?
    I shot many in the back garden at home when I was growing up and can confirm that a .177 air rifle is definitely man-enough for the task.

The other challenge was neatly perforating the petals of daffodils and the like, going round the clock before sticking one through the middle. That definitely counted as a dangerous-game though, as I got into lots of trouble if caught

I always adhere to the school of thought, that when shooting Lions or other dangerous game species, the caliber is a secondary consideration....the most important thing is to make sure that you are accompanied by at least one other person, two is even better - suitably qualified in not being able to run as fast as you can.

That way if you mess up the shot, the dinner is on them...or IS them...as the case may be