Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight pull

Straight pull

Just seen a video on the NGO facebook of the new Browning Maral - looks pretty good! It says it will come in .243 which would be nice for me.

Sorry dont know how to put a video on here but here is a link (will that work)? What do you think to it?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-National-Gamekeepers-Organisation/314329015313678?hc_location=timeline

Looks nice, do you think they got that idea from a blaser rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by johndownes View Post
    nope ,they got rid of the gas system on their BAR and fitted a bolt not their first attempt either. makes some sense if you can't use semi-auto's, not sure if the market is going to be large as I thought semi-auto's were OK in Europe? and I would think thats where the main market for quick follow up shots would be (driven Deer,Boar etc)
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by johndownes View Post
    no, this one looks to be designed and engineered properly....

+ 1

on show at cla i'll have a look then
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    lol, i have seen one in person, not the words i would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Makes some sense if you can't use semi-autos. Not sure if the market is going to be large as I thought semi-auto's were OK in Europe (?) and I would think that's where the main market for quick follow up shots would be (driven deer, boar, etc.)
    I was talking to the Browning reps about this at Nuremberg and it seems that some places have magazine-capacity restrictions for semi-autos but not for manually-operated guns (you can get 5- and 10-shot magazines for the Maral), and other places are looking at restricting the use of semi-autos across the board. The Maral uses a lot of existing BAR parts anyway, so it's quite an efficient way of putting a Browning product in those niches, and even of future-proofing elements of production against the advent of greater controls on semi-autos.

If you like the idea of straight-pulls with higher-capacity detachable magazines, you should also look at the Strasser RS05, which the Sportsman will soon be bringing in. It's by no means the prettiest rifle in the world, but it's a great bit of engineering and has a uniquely brilliant trigger mechanism, an integral scope mount, a switch-barrel facility, and the ability to go from right- to left-handed configuration.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 02-05-2013 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    ..... you should also look at the Strasser RS05, ......... by no means the prettiest rifle in the world, .....
    ​Man that's an ugly rifle. A lesson in function over aesthetics. I'd much rather have a merkal - if only they offered an affordable synthetic option.

Maral. Hummm will be interesting to see how that rear stock design fares.
    I don't know why. But what is the deal with making two piece stocks for these guns?
    Still I will have a good butchers at one at the CLA if it goes ahead this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    I don't know why. But what is the deal with making two piece stocks for these guns?
    I think there are a few advantages with 2-piece stocks:
    more choice of blanks/ blanks per plank = cheaper to make?
    break one end = easy to replace
    want to upgrade = screw on fancy side plates, etc.
    solid receiver = no need for bedding

The black-finished RS05 is quite new, and I think by calling less attention to the receiver shape it makes the rifle a bit easier on the eye. But I think it's a mistake to put too much weight on aesthetics here: they're very nicely made, cleverly engineered and the ones I've held have handled well too.