Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting scope advice needed

Mounting scope advice needed

The rings I have this time will put metal to metal. Previous rings had plastic insert. Am I best to put a ring of insulating tape round the mounting points to separate metals. Rings are a good fit otherwise, Jim

If the rings are a good fit putting tape in there will risk indenting the scope tube by making the tube larger or hole smaller. If the rings are made correctly then there should be no need for tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    If the rings are a good fit putting tape in there will risk indenting the scope tube by making the tube larger or hole smaller. If the rings are made correctly then there should be no need for tape.
    As above, after a previous bad experience I always run my finger all over them before fitting to check for any imperfections that could damage the scopes finnish and smooth them of if I find any

Rick

Hi Jimbo.
    I always think that if the scope gets marked something is not aligned correctly. This is one of the reasons i started fitting Picatinny rails and rings to suit machined by a proper manufacturer.

Yorkie.

At the danger of sounding thick ( nothing new there) why does the picatinny rail ensure everything is alined? Due to the one continuous fixing surface?
    Is this a much better system to use with all rifles?

Many thanks Kieran

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi Jimbo.
    I always think that if the scope gets marked something is not aligned correctly. This is one of the reasons i started fitting Picatinny rails and rings to suit machined by a proper manufacturer.

Yorkie.
    So what your implying is that folks like Apel, Reckangle, Burris, Leupold etc are not "Proper manufacturers"?

What a crock of cobblers.

In fact adding another level of tolerances is increasing the risks not reducing them.

The SA80 has a rail fitted and that's the biggest piece of crap I have seen. Heck I even have some of the rail somewhere as I worked at the firm that made them amongst other parts for the SA80.

a drop of PVA glue on each ring before fitting does two things

gives a perfect smooth surface fit to both ring and tube protecting the tube from scratches

and stops ingress of water which despite the ring finish can often lead to rust underneath

​peels off easily after use

If your worried about marking the scope, lap the rings before fitting the scope.
    Once you have done a set of rings like this you will be shocked to see how little contact there
    is between the rings and scope, even on so called good rings.

Neil.

If you dont feel up to full lapping simply rough-up inner ring suffaces with some fine grit paper; clean/degrease with spirit and coat (lightly) with a glob from a puncture repair outfit and wait until cured.

I do this with all my rifles and never had a problem with scope movement even on a 300 Weatherby Magnum. But then I do use CONETROL scope rings & mounts!!

Cheers

K

Klenchblaize is doesn't matter how many times you mention them Conetrol are never going to sponsor you, and you aren't going to be able to put "A Conetrol -Pro Satalker" as your byline.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.