Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derogatory names for Rifles.

Derogatory names for Rifles.

Shooters are a funny old bunch, they often come out with derogatory comments or names for rifles they don’t or no longer own but at the same time they are usually fiercely loyal to any make of rifle that they happen to use or have in their cabinets at the time. Much the same really as other people are about cars e.g. Ford – Dagenham dustbins.

I can think of a few names that I often use to refer to certain rifles, how about you adding to the list.
    And before anyone gets up tight or defensive about it, it’s only a bit of fun. I REPEAT, IT’S ONLY A BIT OF FUN.

Blaser – The Marmite rifle. You either love them or hate them.

Mannlicher - Or sometimes called the Man Licker. Myself I always call the synthetic stocked versions Tupperware rifles, after thinking of the poor quality flexible stocks that were fitted to early versions. The stocks were allegedly made from melted down Tupperware containers.

Remmington - I refer to them as Trigger’s brooms after trigger in only fools and horses saying how good his old broom was. It has only has five new heads and three new handles. A guy in a local gun shop is a bit like that. He always recommends Remington because he has three, but when you question him his original Remmingtons have all had new triggers fitted, been rebarreled and had the stocks replaced. Some of them have also been converted to take the Ai mags.

Mauser - I have overheard a couple of young lads arguing that one of these MOUSERS can’t be very powerful if they are only intended for shooting mice.

Tikka - Someone told me that they are called Tickers because they tick all the boxes?

Sako - Saki sometimes misspelt, suggesting Sake or rice wine.

SMLE – The obvious one that no British site could disregard the Short Magazine Lee Enfield or the good old SMELLY.

So come on add to the list but in spite of what I said earlier I am sure that within a few posts someone will take offence or take this seriously and get all defensive. In the words of the late Michael Winner "It's only an advertisment".
    Last edited by 8x57; 04-05-2013 at 08:44.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

only have two from the past m16 was a the JAM O'MATIC

and 1st SA80 inc the cadet gp we called it the SNAP EZZY or sometime fellers called them the SHED as every time you looked down it had shed another part (tmh pins/ mags etc !

An aquaintance had an Arminus revolver that we refered to as his Lone Star gun after the famous local toy manufacturer because it looked like a toy. Can't say too much on that as a friend currently has one for humane despatch. He also had a Sig 9mm which we called his Jam O'matic but that was due to his poor reloading technique.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Remlin Aka a fcked up Marlin rifle made by Remminton

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Shooters are a funny old bunch, they often come out with derogatory comments or names for rifles they don’t or no longer own but at the same time they are usually fiercely loyal to any make of rifle that they happen to use or have in their cabinets at the time. Much the same really as other people are about cars e.g. Ford – Dagenham dustbins.

I can think of a few names that I often use to refer to certain rifles, how about you adding to the list.
    And before anyone gets up tight or defensive about it, it’s only a bit of fun. I REPEAT, IT’S ONLY A BIT OF FUN.

Blaser – The Marmite rifle. You either love them or hate them.

Mannlicher - Or sometimes called the Man Licker. Myself I always call the synthetic stocked versions Tupperware rifles, after thinking of the poor quality flexible stocks that were fitted to early versions. The stocks were allegedly made from melted down Tupperware containers.

Remmington - I refer to them as Trigger’s brooms after trigger in only fools and horses saying how good his old broom was. It has only has five new heads and three new handles. A guy in a local gun shop is a bit like that. He always recommends Remington because he has three, but when you question him his original Remmingtons have all had new triggers fitted, been rebarreled and had the stocks replaced. Some of them have also been converted to take the Ai mags.

Mauser - I have overheard a couple of young lads arguing that one of these MOUSERS can’t be very powerful if they are only intended for shooting mice.

Tikka - Someone told me that they are called Tickers because they tick all the boxes?

Sako - Saki sometimes misspelt, suggesting Sake or rice wine.

SMLE – The obvious one that no British site could disregard the Short Magazine Lee Enfield or the good old SMELLY.

So come on add to the list but in spite of what I said earlier I am sure that within a few posts someone will take offence or take this seriously and get all defensive. In the words of the late Michael Winner "It's only an advertisment".
    I do wonder if Man Licker owners who fit Scmidt & Bender scopes are trying to tell us something

A good friend of mine told me of his mentor, an ex Lovat Scout, who would sit and lovingly caress his old .222 and say, "Ah, the poisonous wee bitch."

​Simon

had a .22 h&k simi-auto that I called the fence post !!!
    coz it used to jamb up so much I felt like stuffing in the ground stock up and clipping the barrbed wire to it and leaving it there

my 308 rifle is 'The Love Machine' .... it will F%&K anything

I call my NESIKA "ULRIKAKAKAKA" if she hits the spot and "ULRIKA" when not.
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 04-05-2013 at 18:42.

I owned a Chinese Norinco JW105 affectionately know as "that piece of s**t"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox