Thread: Primers - Variation in Use

Primers - Variation in Use

Hi

Curious what experiences relaoders have had when using different manufacturers (Federal/CCI/Remington et al) primers for centre-fire rifle cartridges?

If any, how much difference is noticed in terms of accuracy/variation in velocity etc?

Many thanks.

L

I don't really care about variations in velocity and in truth, you may see none, you may see some. It depends on the case volume, bore diameter, and powder type. It is almost moot because when you switch primers, you should be reworking your load from the bottom... especially if your load is in the upper end of the charge range. Pressure is not the same as velocity and they are not in lock step. Changing primers can give you higher pressures (and other outcomes bases on the structural properties of the primer) without adding any significant velocity.

Accuracy is another story. I have found that juggling primers in some loads has produced some wide variations in grouping. My latest kick-around load for 308 is a 150 grain FMJ over WC852F powder (US Surplus). With Federal Lg Rifle I get about an inch. With Remingtons, I get about 5/8 of an inch. My 7x57's favorite half inch load will become 1.2" if I use Winchester Primers. My .223 Howa will add about 1/4" in group size with Federal primers instead of Remington 7.5's. ~Muir

I have only been reloading for a short time, but in that time have workied up qute a few different loads . . .With identical loads {other than primer} shot back to back I have found big differences with accuracy, the best being with remington 7 1/2 in my .222

I didn't expect much difference but it was significant.

Don't get too hung up on it, you'll probably only find CCI and Federal primers in your local gun shop anyway, they all go bang and they all do the job.
    If you are really into your home loading like some (I am a big into my loading but spend more time working my charges and seating depth than worrying about primers), then you might want to try and get some cci benchrest primers. My advice at the minute with the shortage of stock in the UK is to grab whatever you can!

+1
    bech rest yes, hunting no! i like cci lr ,i also use fed110 . back in the pistols comp days ,def yes cci small pistol were slower and not as hot , so we used s/r mag primers to maintain the bullets speeds around the world hot /cold etc.
    but don't worry mty just get you load sorted to a place that is best for you and enjoy your shooting lifes to short.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Don't get too hung up on it, you'll probably only find CCI and Federal primers in your local gun shop anyway, they all go bang and they all do the job.
    If you are really into your home loading like some (I am a big into my loading but spend more time working my charges and seating depth than worrying about primers), then you might want to try and get some cci benchrest primers. My advice at the minute with the shortage of stock in the UK is to grab whatever you can!

I've played about for years and agree with Muir's points. My 30-06 & 22-250 and 22BR/303SMLE/308Rem700VS (before I sold them) are / were definitely choosy about what they likes and what they did not. Most markedly is the 22-250 in terms of "reading" the primer and also in the velocity stability.
    If the weapon groups well then so be it but if you get erratic ignition or higher than normal velocity spreads try something else.
    My 30-06 hates standard rifle primers and works best with magnum types with a preference for Remington. I found that the 303 and 22BR tended that was but that the 308 would run with Remington, CCI and Federal well although with Vectan SP7 it really likes Remington LR Magnum and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    +1
    bech rest yes, hunting no! i like cci lr ,i also use fed110 . back in the pistols comp days ,def yes cci small pistol were slower and not as hot , so we used s/r mag primers to maintain the bullets speeds around the world hot /cold etc.
    but don't worry mty just get you load sorted to a place that is best for you and enjoy your shooting lifes to short.
    I disagree whole heartedly. Group size will vary as Cadex indicated. To a degree that will make the load unsuitable? Maybe not. But it does make a difference that you can see in a hunting rifle.~Muir

if your going to the trouble of reloading keep everything the same same primers same brass same powder etc etc or theres no point

o well lifes not at all fair feller, we are told 3/4 hits inch in a 4inch circle @100 yrds is what is needed thay say! all my rifles shoot sub 1/2 or 1inch with cci or fed110 ! so prob down to my loading and load development, But when i punch holes in paper with the 308 AI i used 190 vld's and yup all done as per never change once develop was done. hunting i have no worrys, crap will and can happen but that would be down to me and not the primer
    so as Q' was "can it make a change" part of my reply was Yes!
    Q [ ,def yes cci small pistol were slower and not as hot , so we used s/r mag primers to maintain the bullets speeds]

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I disagree whole heartedly. Group size will vary as Cadex indicated. To a degree that will make the load unsuitable? Maybe not. But it does make a difference that you can see in a hunting rifle.~Muir
    Last edited by paul o'; 04-05-2013 at 21:40.