Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun rest/zeroing rest

gun rest/zeroing rest

hi there,
    has any one got any good idears on how to make a cheap gun rest/ zeroing rest. im looking for something cheap and cheerfull that i can use as a gun rest for cleaning and maintance and that could also be used as a rest for zeroing
    many thanks for your help
    simon

Might not be much use for cleaning etc. But I use a scissor type car jack, with a piece of heavy duty chip foam on the top and a square foot of 3/4 inch ply-wood bolted to the bottom. It's infinitely adjustable for height and ultra stable but you will need some sort of bag for the butt.
    Last edited by gunner269; 04-05-2013 at 21:39.

I just use a big bag of sand in an old pillowcase, stick it on the bonnet of the landy or on the floor and punch a groove in the middle....

SD Regular
    Yes. You could use what is known, or was known, as "an Enfield Box". Nothing to do with my moniker on this Forum except, of course, both have their reference to Enfield Lock.

An Enfield Box is a wooden box, such as might have had ammuntion in it. So think about 14" x 20" x 8" and wood about a half inch thick.

A V is cut in the centre of the front 14" side and a slightly deeper V is cut in the centre of the rear 14" side. A strip of wood about 1/2" x 1" is then nailed to the rear 14" edge of the box vertically down from BUT JUST OFFSET FROM THE CENTRE OF THE REAR V CUT.

An explanation:

The two V cuts are the bed for the rifle to be zeroed or cleaned. The 1/2" x 1" wood strip is offset so that the left edge of the trigger guard rests against it. THUS THE REASON FOR THAT STRIP BEING OFFSET.

Therefore providing the rifle is placed in the box with the front of the trigger guard against the front of the back 14" side and the trigger guard resting against the strip the rifle will ALWAYS be in the same alignment.

The OFFSET of the strip being calculated in direct relation to the width of the trigger guard.

And that is how the Royal Ordnance Factory, at Enfield, instructed armourers in the field to make a simple but consistent from shot to shot rest for the purpose of re-zeroing rifles when sight alterations needed to be done.

Thus the name "Enfield Box"

But like most things you probably won't find it on t'internet BUT it does come up often in British military training manuals which give the exact dimensions, from memory, of the two V cuts for use with the SMLE rifle (and by their shared dimensions in that area) the No 4 rifle.

Hope it helps. The box of course could also be filled with sandbags (not touching the rifle) to give greater stability. And not to be confused with what was used AT Enfield which was the most fabulous Enfield Rest which had a haevy cast iron bed like an anvil in size and then clamps and wheels for holding and adjusting by minute degree the orientation of the rifle.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 04-05-2013 at 22:29.

hi there,
    great idears thanks, i will have look for a wooden box, if i can find one
    many thanks for the help
    atb
    simon

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    hi there, has any one got any good idears on how to make a cheap gun rest/ zeroing rest. im looking for something cheap and cheerfull that i can use as a gun rest for cleaning and maintance and that could also be used as a rest for zeroing many thanks for your help simon
    One comment. You're trying to do two distinct jobs here. I suggest you zero your rifle from the position that you most typically adopt in the field. If you shoot prone with a bipod and moderator, then zero prone with a bipod and moderator. I attach a recent group my 88 year old Dad shot off my rucksack with no bipods or other aids. He's placed 3 shots touching on the central bull. I tried all day and couldn't match it.

My Dad's been well trained and he has practiced for more than 80 years. Regards JCS

Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 05-05-2013 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    One comment. You're trying to do two distinct jobs here. I suggest you zero your rifle from the position that you most typically adopt in the field. If you shoot prone with a bipod and moderator, then zero prone with a bipod and moderator. I attach a recent group my 88 year old Dad shot off my rucksack with no bipods or other aids. He's placed 3 shots touching on the central bull. I tried all day and couldn't match it.

My Dad's been well trained and he has practiced for more than 80 years. Regards JCS

good point, may be trying to ask to much of this.
    just looking for somwthing cheap but effective really

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Yes. You could use what is known, or was known, as "an Enfield Box". Nothing to do with my moniker on this Forum except, of course, both have their reference to Enfield Lock.

An Enfield Box is a wooden box, such as might have had ammuntion in it. So think about 14" x 20" x 8" and wood about a half inch thick.

A V is cut in the centre of the front 14" side and a slightly deeper V is cut in the centre of the rear 14" side. A strip of wood about 1/2" x 1" is then nailed to the rear 14" edge of the box vertically down from BUT JUST OFFSET FROM THE CENTRE OF THE REAR V CUT.

An explanation:

The two V cuts are the bed for the rifle to be zeroed or cleaned. The 1/2" x 1" wood strip is offset so that the left edge of the trigger guard rests against it. THUS THE REASON FOR THAT STRIP BEING OFFSET.

Therefore providing the rifle is placed in the box with the front of the trigger guard against the front of the back 14" side and the trigger guard resting against the strip the rifle will ALWAYS be in the same alignment.

The OFFSET of the strip being calculated in direct relation to the width of the trigger guard.

And that is how the Royal Ordnance Factory, at Enfield, instructed armourers in the field to make a simple but consistent from shot to shot rest for the purpose of re-zeroing rifles when sight alterations needed to be done.

Thus the name "Enfield Box"
    thats about the same size and shape for wooden wine cases: most good wine shops will let you have some, or they come free with lots of good wine (I paid 35 euros a case (6 bottles) for some decent Bordeaux at the Eurotunnel a couple of weeks ago). They make great storage boxes, I use one for shotgun cartridges, and now another one will become my range box.

i salvaged a large piece of suede, stitched into a cube and filled it with builders sand.
    in practice and old trouser leg or two or three socks would do the same,

on the hill I shoot off the rifle sling rolled up, with my hand between sling and fore-end
    in the woods I shoot off sticks, heaven forbid you should zero off sticks, people get very upset!

personally I have sold all my bipods, I don't use them in the field and they introduce variance in hold, rifle position, cheek weld and stability producing differing results between range and field.