Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: primed cases security

primed cases security

So if I get a load of cases sized and primed do I have to lock em up?

Druid,

Treat them the same as your primers.

​Stan

I've heard a story (from a copper who also used to shoot) that someone once got "done" for leaving primed cases unsecured. However, my opinion is that I've never heard such balls as you could leave 12 bore cartridges lying around without any risk...other than the kids chucking them on the fire.
    I lock mine up if I have a primed batch as I'd not want the brats (youngest 4 1/2) playing with them...same goes for the laptop, cameras and anything else of value!!!

The way that I understand it primed cases count the same as loaded ammo so should be secured the same as loaded rounds. As far as I am aware there is no legal requirement to secure shotgun ammunition though it may be wise to do so.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    So if I get a load of cases sized and primed do I have to lock em up?
    No. You don't. You don't even need a fac to have primers, only to purchase.
    Cheers, Fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The way that I understand it primed cases count the same as loaded ammo so should be secured the same as loaded rounds.
    As far as I am aware there is no legal requirement to secure shotgun ammunition though it may be wise to do so.
    Mike, I have recently witnessed a delivery of one thousand 12 gauge cartridges left unattended in a public place, a very unwise state of affairs?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yes Steve I have seen pallets of cartridges delivered and wheeled into an unlocked garage and left before now. Asking for trouble in my opinion but I don't think that anything illegal was done.

HforT I know that you can buy cases without a cert and primers just by demonstrating that you have a legitimate use for them (e.g. FAC) but when the two are put together they count the same as loaded ammo. For confirmation of this try buying primed cases without an FAC. Therefore I would regard it as necessary to secure primed cases.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I would think that that since there is no requirement to lock up the individual components there is no greater danger involved with primer and case being united. I always thought that 'ammunition' (case, primer, powder, bullet all assembled) should be secured along with expanding projectiles(section 5). So in short I would say NO.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Yes Steve I have seen pallets of cartridges delivered and wheeled into an unlocked garage and left before now. Asking for trouble in my opinion but I don't think that anything illegal was done.

HforT I know that you can buy cases without a cert and primers just by demonstrating that you have a legitimate use for them (e.g. FAC) but when the two are put together they count the same as loaded ammo. For confirmation of this try buying primed cases without an FAC. Therefore I would regard it as necessary to secure primed cases.
    8x57,
    as you have said, you can buy cases without an fac. However, to buy primers for them you have to produce an fac to the dealer. You would also have to produce an fac to purchase primed cases.
    Here's the silly part, once purchased, you can give those primers to another person who does not hold an fac. You do not need to store them in a cabinet either.
    Cheers,
    Fatty.

cases can be primed and powder charged and do not need to be secured but a primed case with a bullet in it is a round of ammunition and must be secured even if not powder charged because the "missile" can be propelled by the primer if a foreign object falls into a primed case the object could be classed as a "missile"
    ​cheers lister