which boots

243fallow

Im looking at getting some new boots. Im looking at le chameau mouflons or meindl island pro .Does anyone have any views or experiance of these boots i need them to last and they will get a fair bit of stick :D cheers

Fallow,

I was after a pair of boots of the sort you describe. I read the thread above and decided on a pair from Altberg. The ones I got are called, I think, "High Country Velthog".

Altberg's customer service was first rate. The boots arrived in a couple of days.

I've not done much in them yet. The real tests will come when the game season starts. However, early signs are very positive. I have been surprised by how comfy they are for a boot that comes well above the ankle and they've not needed much breaking in.

Bob

I bought some le chameau mouflon plus boots and they are absolutely crap!
Thankfully I got them for £62 new from evilbay. They are very warm, narrow fitting, but the worst bit is they SQUEAK! You don't need a Buttollo caller when out with these boots on! :lol: I believe Danner 'Pronghorns' are quite good but haven't personally tried them.

Monkey Spanker said:
I bought some le chameau mouflon plus boots and they are absolutely crap!
Thankfully I got them for £62 new from evilbay. They are very warm, narrow fitting, but the worst bit is they SQUEAK! You don't need a Buttollo caller when out with these boots on! :lol: I believe Danner 'Pronghorns' are quite good but haven't personally tried them.

My Chiruca Hunters squeak as well.

My father-in-law when he sees a client with goretex boots, he refuses to take them out unless they change and wear wellies. He can provide his old stinky pair if needed... :rolleyes:
He says all of the goretex boots squeak. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg

I'm with the Spanker of the Monkey, I've had Mouflons and thought they were good until I purchased a pair of Meindl Burma pros which are great, just purchased a pair of Island pros from Jacks of Dunmow yesterday, great service really helpful and a good deal too.

I think that the Burma ( only a B boot ) will be more comfortable than the Island Pro . A friend uses the Island Pro and when they are ready for the graveyard they still are to stiff .

A Scottish professional , which I spoke with , uses in winter a pair of Le Chameau neoprene lined wellies . He wants nothing else . It keeps your feet dry and warm he says . I live in my wellies and can walk days in them without aver having blisters or painfull feet . I use Aigle Parcurs since they exist and am very pleased with them . Their fit around the ankle is a lot tighter than the Le Chameau wellies. I think getting a pair of neoprene lined Parcours for coming to Scotland this winter .

Who uses wellies ? Pro and cons ?

It's funny you should mention them as I use Le Chameau 'Vieznord' neoprene lined wellies when it is wet. They are extremely warm and comfortable and I can walk for days in them with no rubbing or blisters.
I even managed to pin my boot to my foot last year by jamming a blackthorn through my heel and about 3/4" into my foot. Eventually got my boot off and thought the boot would leak but it never has! :confused: It seems to have self-sealed! Can't fault their wellies, but the Mouflons are not good.

I use 'Muck Boots' - neoprene wellies - they're comfy, warm and keep my feet and legs dry. I can even wear them to walk the dogs on the beach without worrying about salt water corrosion...

I'd never buy a regular pair of wellies again...

Pippa said:
I use 'Muck Boots' - neoprene wellies - they're comfy, warm and keep my feet and legs dry. I can even wear them to walk the dogs on the beach without worrying about salt water corrosion...

I'd never buy a regular pair of wellies again...

Dito! i went for the clod weather options, top half camo as well, gret boots.

I've had a pair of Mouflon boots for a couple of years. They are really comfy and give good ankle support. I soon discovered the terrible squeak doesn't come as an optional extra, it's standard equipment!! I took them back to the suppliers who were less than sympathetic (Shame on you Sportsman!!) I've still got them, can't afford to bin a pair of £160 boots. I found that if you use a leather dressing on the inside ,where the white inner leather overlaps itself(behind the top 2 eyelets) you should cure the dreaded Squeak. It needs doing at intervals (dependant on frequency of use) only takes 30seconds but silence is golden. :p :p
Cheers, Pete.

Another vote for wellies.

Aigle Parcours. Wear them for just about everything, except wildfowling, when I wear chest waders. Keep my feet both dry and warm, which is not something I can say about boots. What I really like about them is the tick proofing, with the lightweight trousers tucked into my wellie socks and then my heavy waterproof stalking trousers over the top of my wellies I have a pretty good line of defence.

Back