Thread: can-am quad bikes

can-am quad bikes

Anyone had a can -am quad big 800 v- twin rotax called an outlander . don't know much about them they look a well built tool .
    cheers
    ​norma

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    used a few of their can-am bikes in the army when they had dispatch riders,

mechanically sound engines but the peripherals where pants,

we had about 5 in the unit and they would break down with small faults like engine mounts snapping, frame work welding giving way, and the worst was the brakes, about as much use as a brake light on a submarine,

but that was 20 odd years ago.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I think they have come a long way since then and are quite highly regarded nowadays, don't think there is really a lot between any of the modern day quads, except some of the Chinese stuff which is still a bit suspect.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I think they have come a long way since then and are quite highly regarded nowadays, don't think there is really a lot between any of the modern day quads, except some of the Chinese stuff which is still a bit suspect.

John

very true John

I think all the modern makes are well up there, but as you say some of these chinese stuff is well suspect.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I know the thread is a bit old, but I have a can-am outlander 500, it will do 65 on the road, it is smooth as anything off road, not like Honda, Suzuki etc what bounce, the can-am aint too bad on fuel, it is a heavy bike, if it goes down you wont get off and lift it out...... you will need a tow, mind saying that I have only got it bogged once and that was cos I tried going through a really boggy bit... but I would strongly recommend them to any one, the older ones wasn't as good. but the new 2013 model is a great bit of kit, I had a trailer on it, with 30 25 kg bags in it, and from standstill to 40 mph in about 100 yards, was witnessed for that too....
    but they are well built, mine gets abuse, daily and hasn't let me down yet...

charlie

Used to have the one before it, very comfortable but an electrical nightmare. It was traded in for a Honda. The latest version seems to be aimed at the WAG market but then so do most 4x4s. I have friends who are grouse keepers that have them, they prefer the Honda for no frills reliability.
    Quads are getting a bit like scopes, some will have every feature under the sun, but at the end of the day you need it to work not look good.

ive never had a problem with the can-am, but ive had a dog of a time with the Honda. and visited the garage every 10 min with the grizzly