SD deer dog register

cookingfat

I got a call from a fellow stalker this morning who's client had wounded a big roe buck and he couldn't locate it, he asked if I could help or could I recommend someone with a good tracking dog as this was not a dead deer to find but a very mobile animal, I could not help myself but put him in touch with a good tracking friend of mine.

This got me wondering how many people use the SD deer dog register ether as a stalker or as a tracking team ?

surely its now time for a system like this in this country

http://schweiss.dk/hunters-map

this has got to be the way forward, its good for the stalker and more importantly deer welfare
I know there are lots of issues with this such as boundary's, insurance and training standard's and many more but things must surely change sooner or later, like it, or like it not.

your thoughts

Tony

I would be well up for joining such a scheme. I can't be the only one that is more interested in the working dog aspects of deer stalking than actually stalking deer!
it'd be a great source of extra practice/work for my dog.

I find it irresponsible for those who take out clients not to have a decent dog!

Or have access to one ! which is what this man did, he does have a dog but only one that can find dead deer and not one that can track something which is mobile.

I find it irresponsible for those who take out clients not to have a decent dog!
i fully agree with your veiw on this ,but i do think if this is to go forward we must try and keep our views and thoughts in our heads , and try to look at the positives not the negatives ,which i feel will encourage more stalkers to come clean on wounded quarry,not trying to upset or critisise any one who also find it irresponsable and to be honest we all have probably been out ourselves without a dog to hand , i no i have ,it is a great idea and needs all the encouragement for people to register but more so use it , happy hunting arron.

Totally agree wae howy if going to do the job rite u must have a deer dog ave always wondered how many beast r shot each season and never found and even worse going around wounded

Tony.
As I have said before count me in also as said before I am glad to offer help with my dog to track a wounded beast just about anywhere within reason and I mean injured by rifle or other means i,e, RTA. For anyone who asks.
Now this is where it comes to the nitty gritty as always and some will not agree with my views but all I want is to track to the best of my and the dogs ability. This ability I believe should be proven and if you are called upon there should be not so much rules but an agreed code of conduct.
Reason -- to grow and nurture TRUST& RESPECT, between both parties .
Simple code to follow and agree to.
Firstly - WE TRACK TO END SUFFERING.
​We do not ever Criticise.
We do this NOT, to gain Stalking.
We do NOT, do this for financial gain or profit.
We do Not use a request as PRACTICE for an unproven dog/ handler to do so would only serve to undo the good work of others.
Also the stalker must allow the handler to be in control of the tracking, not to interfere this is for safety reasons if a firearm has to be used.
Just a few points I think may be good to discuss and have clear . To me it boils down to TRUST, in both parties and in the ability of the dog/ handler. As you said your friends dog is not able to find a strong lightly wounded deer so going to track with just any dog is not going to help anyone nor will it help tracking Per Se.
I do not wish to start any arguments with these points just food for thought, as said count me in.

​ Regards WIDU.

Last edited:
I agree with Widu 100%
what an opportunity we have to set this up especially here on the SD.

:tiphat:Widu.... Absolutely right, nothing to add!
See, things are sometimes developing much faster than all of us may think...

To all of us: Its all about TRUST! If things go wrong, go ahead and call a tracking dog from this register, let them do their job, relax and watch their outstanding performance, this is what they are trained for!
Hopefully see finishing the suffering from an animal, show to yourself or your guest and client, you tried your very, very best to do so... For the welfare of the animal and also the right attitude towards hunting/stalking!
All the registered teams (thats what they are) will proof themselves through their peformances and get known in the area as relieable and trustfull partners!

I wish all of you the best on this way, its the right one!

​Michael

Thanks Michael and all the other posters. This could work as WB 1973 says. we must have trust and respect, sadly these are often lacking in today's world and especially in the stalking world .
So how about the interested parties meet to discuss and then the hard part AGREE a plan and a CODE OF PRACTICE + the national Register of Handlers and then the proof of ability that is the minimum standard of acceptance.
We can do this if we Talk ?? I think there is some interest but we must do this RIGHT from the start.
So ladies and gents let those that are genuinely interested in Tracking Proper ! express their interest and post.
In my humble opinion do not mix this with a Deer Dog ?? as Tony said in the OP there is a world of difference between a dog that finds a fresh shot deer that is Dead and not far away. And one that is capable of finding one that is lightly wounded / injured 72 hrs after the shot. Remember this is not a dig at anyone or their dog just some facts. I personally believe there are some great future trackers out there but they just don't know it YET !! . So thoughts please .

​ Regards Widu.

Thanks Michael and all the other posters. This could work as WB 1973 says. we must have trust and respect, sadly these are often lacking in today's world and especially in the stalking world .
So how about the interested parties meet to discuss and then the hard part AGREE a plan and a CODE OF PRACTICE + the national Register of Handlers and then the proof of ability that is the minimum standard of acceptance.
We can do this if we Talk ?? I think there is some interest but we must do this RIGHT from the start.
So ladies and gents let those that are genuinely interested in Tracking Proper ! express their interest and post.
In my humble opinion do not mix this with a Deer Dog ?? as Tony said in the OP there is a world of difference between a dog that finds a fresh shot deer that is Dead and not far away. And one that is capable of finding one that is lightly wounded / injured 72 hrs after the shot. Remember this is not a dig at anyone or their dog just some facts. I personally believe there are some great future trackers out there but they just don't know it YET !! . So thoughts please .

​ Regards Widu.
Spot on.........
Exactly.........

​ Regards Widu.

Wise words indeed Widu,
If there is to be any sort of tracking register here in this country there has to be a standard test of some sort for dog and handler to give it any credibility, it should be open to all breeds and not matter how its trained as long as the team can pass the standard test, not sure a 72 hour old test would be a standard to start with, maybe something a bit younger! but yes 72 hour trails are very possible and I have seen it done.
I will help and work with anyone to promote and agree a plan on action and a code of practice.

Tony

The 72 Hrs track is an example not obviously the standard. So in real terms the standard should be 24 hours old 1,000 to 1,500 m, a number of right angles and one 120 degree turn and at least one wound couch + the finding of an unmarked strike point. Track to be laid with scent shoes, blood if used has to be No more than 120ml or not at all. If the dog leaves the track more than 20 m twice then Fail , + a time limit.
This is for the tracking register, no need for more, not less either. As for any other puppy or basic track tests whatever is agreed, but no pieces of paper Cert's we are not in pre -school. This is again just my opinion and the more pieces of worthless paper we have the more complicated it becomes. Surely if people wish to get on the register and help others then they and hound must capable of this as a minimum. We know that in real life situations we mostly cannot be there in ten minutes.
As for all breeds let's be sensible here and stick to working breeds. This is to train people and dog and if both are unsuitable then sorry they need to realise this is not a fun dog club.

​ Widu.

Back