Thread: Danner Jackal 11 GTX or Harkila lynx

Danner Jackal 11 GTX or Harkila lynx

I need a pair of lightweight summer boots that put up with wet grass and both of the above sound great , the problem is I can't find anyone who sells the Danner (I want the ones with the leather trim not the gay all realtree ones) and the Harkilla are very expensive.

Has anyone any in the field experience of either these or a pointer as to where I can get some Danners, I'll need to order the wide EE fit as they are supposed to be on the narrow side. Are the Harkila a wideish fit?

Any help much appreciated George
    Last edited by liongeorge; 05-05-2013 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    I need a pair of lightweight summer boots that put up with wet grass and both of the above sound great , the problem is I can't find anyone who sells the Danner (I want the ones with the leather trim not the gay all realtree ones) and the Harkilla are very expensive.

Has anyone any in the field experience of either these or a pointer as to where I can get some Danners, I'll need to order the wide EE fit as they are supposed to be on the narrow side. Are the Harkila a wideish fit?

Any help much appreciated George
    I have a pair of the Danner Jackal (mark 1) that I bought in their outlet in Oregon.
    I usually take a UK size 9/European 43
    but the Jackal that fitted me is labelled:
    Mens width D, US Size 11, Eur Size 45, UK Size 10.

​So I strongly recommend you try 'em on before buying!

They are nice enough for the price I paid in the States, but are IMHO usually a bit overpriced in UK.
    The Harkila boots are probably a better boot, albeit pricey!

Alasdair.

I have a pair of the Danner Jackal boots, the early ones with the brown leather trim. I bought them from a member on here so he was able to advise on sizing. Mine are US 9.5 / Eur 43.5 / UK 9, they fit me fine and I normally take a UK 8.5 or 9. I am very pleased with them and they are ideal for what you describe, summer mornings etc. Basically they are like a waterproof desert boot. Glyn.

Order them off carbellas web site, I have had the pronghorns and used them for summer and winter, best boots I have bought.

I don't think you can get the Jackal MkI's any more. I have a pair of the realtree 'Gay' Jackal Mk II's
    They are very lightweight and comfortable, but my feet do seem to get wet when wearing them in the morning dew! I'm not convinced they are actually waterproof as advertised!
    Great for evening stuff in the summer though.
    MS

I found the quality of harkila boots to be utter rubbish so would never have another pair even if you paid me, now have miendl Borneo boots which are a joy to wear and hardly leave my feet, and being unlined they breathe better than gore tex, so perfect for summer use as you suggest.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I don't think you can get the Jackal MkI's any more. I have a pair of the realtree 'Gay' Jackal Mk II's
    They are very lightweight and comfortable, but my feet do seem to get wet when wearing them in the morning dew! I'm not convinced they are actually waterproof as advertised!
    Great for evening stuff in the summer though.
    MS
    Sorry MS didn't mean to question your manhood! I believe they do the MK2 with the leather bits too though I would certainly expect them to be waterproof.

Thanks for the replies, sad to hear Harkila are poor quality,.The Pronghorn looks really good though not quite as light and soft soled as I'd like. Really sounds like I'll need to try whatever boot on which is easier said than done.

I have a pair of the GTX mountain boots and they are a little forgiving in the sizes. In the winter I wear some nice wooly socks and in the summer some light weight walking socks an they have never let me down. The have been through fields which are like the Somme and not a drop has come through!

Also I prefer the taller boots for support as my knee isn't as good as it was