Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding

breeding

Hi folks I'm asking on here due to the honesty of folk.
    I have a 18 month dachshund who is kc registered and pra clear. We want to allow her one litter only but unsure if what the best age is to allow this to happen. We are not doing this for financial reasons as we will be keeping a bitch. It's just because she is an outstanding companion and would like another. We do have our eye on one or two possible future studs.

My personal opinion would be on her first season after 24 months. I have kept and worked and trained dogs for a number of years and only bred the odd litter for to keep a strain of the dog which I found to excel.That pick of the litter is no way to judge how any dog will turn out, I have runts turn out to be top dogs and what people chose as the pick of the litter not turn out so good.All dogs are only as good as the time you put into them and in my opinion unless it is the colour you want, you may as well pick one blind folded. Even police dogs are not fully assessed until 12month

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    My personal opinion would be on her first season after 24 months. I have kept and worked and trained dogs for a number of years and only bred the odd litter for to keep a strain of the dog which I found to excel.That pick of the litter is no way to judge how any dog will turn out, I have runts turn out to be top dogs and what people chose as the pick of the litter not turn out so good.All dogs are only as good as the time you put into them and in my opinion unless it is the colour you want, you may as well pick one blind folded. Even police dogs are not fully assessed until 12month

+1,

I've never chosen a dog yet and they've all been pretty good!

I had a litter from my pointer last year, she was 3 1/2 years old. This was the earliest I would have bred from her, she was only just a dog and not a puppy! I don't know how long a dachshund takes to mature but a GWP takes yonks!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

After further discussions today with dacshund's breeders my bitch is to small of a weight to breed from as she doesn't weight the recommended 9lb leaving us to probaly purchase another.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    After further discussions today with dacshund's breeders my bitch is to small of a weight to breed from as she doesn't weight the recommended 9lb leaving us to probaly purchase another.
    ​what did they say? i have 18 month old teckel bitch and loads have registered an intrest in any future litters already! i have not even said i am going to breed from her! although i think i will she is a cracker!

Quote Originally Posted by The mighty buck View Post
    ​what did they say? i have 18 month old teckel bitch and loads have registered an intrest in any future litters already! i have not even said i am going to breed from her! although i think i will she is a cracker!
    They wouldn't recommend breeding her if she is under minimum 9lb, she is. 7lb and maintained that for over a year now.
    She is quite deep in chest but circumference around her front haunches is only 6.5 inch. They said from that would lead to pregnancy problems and more so delivering them.

I'd talk to your vet before taking that advice as anything other than advice, simply if she is fit and out working a lot then she could well be on the light size and no problem stature wise. If you look at one side if she was fed well and fat on their advice she would be suitable but odds are that would cause far more in the way of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    I'd talk to your vet before taking that advice as anything other than advice, simply if she is fit and out working a lot then she could well be on the light size and no problem stature wise. If you look at one side if she was fed well and fat on their advice she would be suitable but odds are that would cause far more in the way of problems.
    And wot will the vet be giving you if not advice...????

i would to think as this dog was taken to reputable breeders who probably over years of experience in breeding this type of dog ... Plus with the knowledge that they took the time to weigh and measure the bitch ... They would also of noticed if it had been overweight and gave advice on that side also if that'd had been an issue

yes I am sure a vet would pass the dog with a clean bill of health for breeding
    but again a breed standard that has years of credibility will be once more carry on a decline in a breed due to sub standard breeding practices if you are not carefull and any doubts on birthing complications that are not taken in serious consideration before hand is just being foolish
    well done weeman for taking a sensible approach to it all
    a few more quid spent on getting purchasing another pup from possibly a better or different line may save you a lot of money and pain from breeding from this bitch especially if the already given advice comes true

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    She is fit and walked everyday. I won't be feeding her up by pileing fat on her just to have a litter, it's wrong on all fronts doing that. All's a vet will probably say that it is a risk and we'll be on hand to help out.
    The trouble with small dachshund like mine the pulps fail to turn around fully before mum pushes leading to getting stuck and kind of jammed. Then a finger insertion to turn or operation is called on to deliver. And that's for certain won't be risking.

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    And wot will the vet be giving you if not advice...????

i would to think as this dog was taken to reputable breeders who probably over years of experience in breeding this type of dog ... Plus with the knowledge that they took the time to weigh and measure the bitch ... They would also of noticed if it had been overweight and gave advice on that side also if that'd had been an issue

yes I am sure a vet would pass the dog with a clean bill of health for breeding
    but again a breed standard that has years of credibility will be once more carry on a decline in a breed due to sub standard breeding practices if you are not carefull and any doubts on birthing complications that are not taken in serious consideration before hand is just being foolish
    well done weeman for taking a sensible approach to it all
    a few more quid spent on getting purchasing another pup from possibly a better or different line may save you a lot of money and pain from breeding from this bitch especially if the already given advice comes true
    That's correct stone we gained and listened to one of the top three dachshund breeders in the country. Dachshunds now are becoming a money goldmine for all even breeding from first season some are mentioning.
    Her health and well being is the important thing to us not money. It would of been nice to have a litter but not to be. So probably look towards another pup. As this will ne more pleasing than guilt should a breed allow to commence and living with the guilt should it go wrong ad the odds were already stacked against us.

Cheers for you approval.