Foxes where do I stand

jimbo1984

Hi gents I have permission in some ground and it's unsuitable for rifle but there's a few earths there I'm toying with the idea of getting another terrier where do I stand if I have written permission for Vermin control of foxes using terriers to protect game birds even though I'm not officially the keeper?

​jim

You wouldn't need to be the gamekeeper as such as long as you have permission but I think you might be better off either
a) shooting fox with a shotgun or
b)getting in someone who already has a decent terrier, you can't dig foxes to terriers anymore you can only dig the dog out if he's stuck. you can only use 1 dog at a time and foxes must be flushed to waiting guns anyway so you might as well just shoot the fox with a shotgun as in (a)

My mate is a pro terrierman he said if he left the hunt there would be at least a que 100 deep outside the kennels in the morning after his job so there must be plenty of guys out there who would assist .
​norma

TanksThanks for the replies gents ive done a fair bit of terrier work before and I've fancied getting another terrier for a while now as I miss not having one , getting him sine work would just be a bonus , that's fine I can have somebody ready with a shotgun for the fox to bolt I just wondered about the legalities if using the dog to bolt foxes, seems odd you're not allowed to use nets anymore though,

​jim

We still make and sell lots of fox nets. As far as I'm aware the legality s come with the dispatch of the fox? Although I may be wrong

We still make and sell lots of fox nets. As far as I'm aware the legality s come with the dispatch of the fox? Although I may be wrong
That's what I was thinking, I was thinking of using the nets then dispatching with a .22? But if it's not legal I'll just as easily use the shotgun

If you want any nets give me a shout mate, a lot of people I speak to use a .410 pistol or a shotgun

It's still ok to use nets over the entrances to the earth, but nothing other than nets. Fox must be shot immediately.

Back