Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tick Removal - - I was sent this advice - - comments please.

Tick Removal - - I was sent this advice - - comments please.

Tick Removal

A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her
    simple instructions. Read this one as it could save you from some major problems.

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.Here is a good way to get them off you, your children,
    or your pets. Give it a try. A School Nurse has written the info below--good enough
    to share--and it really works!

"I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great because it works in
    those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of
    dark hair, etc."

"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
    seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic
    for the patient and easier for me.."

Also, if you just pull a tick off, their heads sometimes break offand are left under the skin so this is much safer. Be aware
    also that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and
    your family good if you see any of these!

"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.
    Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Sounds like it might work, on all but the scruffy oiks around here

Neil.

Why would this idea be a worker, when Vaseline/ lighter petrol/ fag ends/etc seem to fail?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Agreed. This technique seems out of date in light of the risk of Lymes and smothering/causing regurgitation by the tick which is why current up to date advice is to remove mechanically with a device that allows the head to be grasped without causing trauma to the body of the tick.

Don't use any method which covers the tick, when it withdraws itself that way it usually regurgitates its stomach contents back into its host, and if the tick is infected you then have Lyme Disease to contend with

Get an O'Tom tick remover and remove that way, please, for the sake of hosts health http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Brian

I was told by my doctor after contracting lyme disease to never cover a tick with anything (soap, vaseline, etc) to get it to release itself.

The reason being that these "smothering" methods of removal often cause the tick to "vomit" back into the wound site. This greatly increases the risk of lyme and associated diseases.

I understand your post is not your own advice and you're looking for comments on what someone has told you.

Personally I would never use the method described based on what i've been advised by doctors and hospital staff.

That sounds like a load of old tosh mate!
    Best method I have found is the 'O Tom' tick remover. Shouldn't cover them with anything.
    Also, I have seen a few 'deer ticks' in my time and none have had a white spot that I recall?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Agreed. This technique seems out of date in light of the risk of Lymes and smothering/causing regurgitation by the tick which is why current up to date advice is to remove mechanically with a device that allows the head to be grasped without causing trauma to the body of the tick.
    This was my thoughts on it aswell John
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

[QUOTE=JRoe;577857]Tick Removal

A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her
    simple instructions. Read this one as it could save you from some major problems.

As others have already said, smothering the tick is a bad idea as it causes regurgitation and increases the risk of passing disease e.g. Lyme
    The best way is the O'Tom Hook, used with a twist and pull action
    Tick Fever is a bit non specific and most UK ticks are capable of transmitting Lyme and other infections, so the species of tick is irrelevant.

Sorry to squash your well meant post!!