The new .17 Hornet

Does anyone have any knowledge or infact used the .17 Hornet i am toying with buying one cheers Rob

The Hornady version? I local guy shoots one on a Savage and it's plenty accurate. His only problem is that the brass from Hornady splits at the neck after firing on many rounds.~Muir

if you haven't seen it already, they used one on the internet programme "theshootingshow" a couple of weeks ago. May be of interest to you.

I've got a pair of the CZ527 HB's on order with two seperate distributers . Think we puth them on order at the first of the year . And every time I call they tell me "we're expecting them any day".

I've had RCBS dies , new brass , factory ammo and Hornady 17 cal bullets for a couple months now !

But no firing of der rifle yet :(

The Hornady version? I local guy shoots one on a Savage and it's plenty accurate. His only problem is that the brass from Hornady splits at the neck after firing on many rounds.~Muir

So generally how many times can he load a case on average before they split ?

Some times, none. They split on the first firing. Same with 100 rounds of Hornady loaded ammo he purchased while waiting for dies.~Muir

Hmmmm since we're getting CZ's it would be great if the problem were caused by Savage making a slightly over size chamber in the neck area .

But I'd bet that isn't the cause .

Out last night with NJC with his custom 17h CZ. head shot rabbits, makes a right mess but saves taking the head off with a knife. I have a photo here of a 100mtr + head shot rabbit. its all blood.

No problems with split cases on his yet plus we had about 300 once fired cases and none of them have splits either. bought from the Edgar hornet demo days.

ATB
​Phil

Back