Thread: re the .17 hornet

re the .17 hornet

can anyone assist i have just read a report that the Savage Hornet was not very well made and poor any views guys please cheers Rob

I have used one and found the rifle fine. What I couldn't do was place where that calibre would fit in. It nearly does the job of a 17HMR on rabbits but blows them apart. It nearly does the job of a 223 on foxes but not quite man enough in certain circumstances. Like many things it's good in theory but not so good in practice.
    I would say for someone who wants a feisty little round for long range small vermin control on a occasional basis it would be OK.

I have one.

It shoots straight and what I aim at falls over.

Perhaps, to some eyes, not the prettiest of design but it goes bang and hits its intended target. I have read that some suffer accuracy issues and they all tend to have a stiff bolt on extraction of fired cartridge which mine did but is somewhat better now it's had a little over 200 through it.

It makes a great little rifle to carry on my rounds every day, it fits on the dash of my Gator and has proved reliable at upto 300 yds.

I dropped it in some deep mud during the winter, washed it with the hose and put the airline down the barrel and carried on shooting with no ill effects.

Besides which I love trying new calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    I have one.
    Do you handload for it? Does it feed ok? Delivered accuracy? 1MOA or better?

Just curious as my 17HMR needs a bit of close combat with an angle grinder...

hi got one on my F A L not getin one holdin on for cz

I use factory ammo. Feeds fine, although bolt lift on firing was really stiff but has got somewhat better after 200+ rounds. Accuracy say 3/4 MOA.

The Savage is not a rifle I would take to bed with me but it does the job well enough out in the field.

Thanks for the feed back i am thinking of hanging on for a CZ the reports and right ups seem promising , silly question doubt anyone has one for sale or know of one Rob

Hi Ian it would be nice to have a chat if you have time, I don't have it on my FAC as yet, I am having my interview on wed this week for renewal and the .17 variation, Ido not think i will have a problem but you never know, i am ex Thames Valley Police firearms unit, clean record, deer society level one and already hold ticket for .22 .223 .243 .270 and safe place to use them, left the force to become a Professional Airline Pilot , so I feel confident to be a fit person, they let me fly 747s for last ten years so hopefully they will see me as not a bad risk, if you have time and fancy a chat i am 07807410342 boys and their toys have good bank holiday Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    I use factory ammo. Feeds fine, although bolt lift on firing was really stiff but has got somewhat better after 200+ rounds. Accuracy say 3/4 MOA.

The Savage is not a rifle I would take to bed with me but it does the job well enough out in the field.
    hi i have a 22 hornet and at 100 yard get a moa at3/4 inch with 35g vmax.i mite stay with the 22 hornet