Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Estate Rifle use and a guest with a revoked FAC

Estate Rifle use and a guest with a revoked FAC

I have invited someone to join me on a stalk but I have now heard a rumour that this person's FAC/SGC have recently been revoked. However he is still involved in an official capacity in the deer stalking world.
    My question is if it is allowed to let him use my rifle under 'Estate Rifle' rules?

EH, in my view it depends on the circumstances of the revocation ie: a criminal conviction, a person given a 3 month custodial sentence (suspended or immediate) is banned from being in possession of any firearm for a period of 5 years, (they are known as a prohibited person), same for a 5 year sentence, only they are a prohibited person for life.

However, if there has been a breach of their conditions on their ticket, and it is marked by the revocation, they are not as previously described, and the normal rules apply ie: being in the company of the person who has the relevant certificate, ie an estate rifle, all that said it would greatly assist in knowing more information about the matter, I would also request your the person to be candid with you, then you can decide

You need to find out for definate if his certificates have actually been revoked. I would also suggest that if they have been you need to speak to your firearms department or at least contact them by email and keep a copy of their reply.

In the case of someone shooting at a rifle club it would definately be a problem and I don't see it as being any different with shooting in the field.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Swerve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Swerve.
    +1 not worth the hassle

Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I would [...] request your the person to be candid with you, then you can decide.
    Much better than lending credence to rumours.

Finnbear, 223

I know more than one person who, through no fault of their own but rather due to the malice of others, has had their guns seized and their certificate suspended for the duration of a police "investigation", which has taken months. Had I been unfortunate enough to be in their position, it would have been doubly depressing to find that the rumour mill was preventing me from stalking under "estate rifle" rules. I'm not saying that this is the explanation, but if it is, solidarity rather than swerving is surely the order of the day. No?

One way around this might be to ask him to sign a declaration part of which would state that he is not prevented on law from taking part, you could say that all your guests have to sign etc etc.

inmthe event that he is not allowed access to firearms and he has signed the form then you could at least say they you were ignorant of his ban and having asked him I'm sure you would have a defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I have invited someone to join me on a stalk but I have now heard a rumour that this person's FAC/SGC have recently been revoked.
    Get him to confirm the facts. Then seek advice in writing from your FLA. I'd expect written advice to be much more cautious than a verbal.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    However he is still involved in an official capacity in the deer stalking world.
    I'd suggest that to have no relevance with respect. That could be that he's the treasurer of a club, a game dealer, writes magazine articles, anything. none of which would have any bearing on his rights to use an Estate Rifle.

Treat him the way you would hope to be treated.

it's fine unless they are a person specifically prohibited from using firearms...

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    inmthe event that he is not allowed access to firearms and he has signed the form then you could at least say they you were ignorant of his ban and having asked him I'm sure you would have a defence.
    Better delete this thread then, right quick!

Don't forget that ignorance is no excuse under the law.