RTA & Pregnant Fallow Does in September!

lwcdart

Guys

I attended an RTA over the weekend & was shocked to find a very pregnant large Fallow Doe in the first week of september!

Has anyone else experianced such late development in fallow?

We have a good variance in fawn sizes with fallow on much of my ground, as there are a few younger/late ones that I would put at about a month old but none which I would consider new born this late in the year.

Regards Lee

I have a fawn in the park at the moment that is only about a week old. Usually get one or two very late ones each year. Ideally, I would like to shoot the doe and fawn as soon as the doe season starts but rarely get the chance. Another option would be to shoot the fawn at the earliest opportunity so as to allow the doe to dry up and get through the winter without a fawn dragging her down so she is in better condition next year but, again, the right opportunity never presents itself at the right time. Obviously I am talking about park deer here. JC

afternoon all

at least im not the only one thinking like this , i was out stalking after red spikers about a couple of weeks ago fell litterally straight onto the herd and sat to watch them .
i clearly saw the the new lead hind (the last one got shot in march by an idiot and had to clear up the mess ) and she was huge ! clearly pregnant and she had with her another hind with a calf about the size of a yearling roe !
i would very interested to hear on any more reports like this in the norfolk area please !!

cheers lee

leec6.5 said:
afternoon all

at least im not the only one thinking like this , i was out stalking after red spikers about a couple of weeks ago fell litterally straight onto the herd and sat to watch them .
i clearly saw the the new lead hind (the last one got shot in march by an idiot and had to clear up the mess ) and she was huge ! clearly pregnant and she had with her another hind with a calf about the size of a yearling roe !
i would very interested to hear on any more reports like this in the norfolk area please !!

cheers lee

Lee,

Not entierly on topic, but...
From my experience (and also deer biology literature) I think that almost always red deer lead hind would have a calf. In some coutries it is illegal to shoot lead hinds (like in Poland) but it is also bad practice to shoot her calf. The reason is that she will immediatelly lose her lead hind status. It causes very similar mess whithin the herd as shooting the lead hind itself. I am wondering if you identified the lead hind. How many deer was in the herd?

Thanks,
Greg

Back