not a stalker!

fishingrhod

so what am i doing here then?

i'm an archaeologist and you guys have important knowledge that i need to access, if that's ok with you that is.

my speciality is prehistoric people for whom hunting deer was a central part of their lifestyle. i've read a book by a hunter turned archaeologist over in the US who used his experience and observations of prey species to help him work out what native American hunters were doing. i'm hoping that you can help me in a similar way.

cheers,

Rhod.

There are a couple of threads on here regarding how close can you get to a deer, I have certainly got close enough to be within range of a spear throw... Not sure I'd like to try it though.

Hello and welcome to the site,
prehistoric deer stalkers eh?
if you were hoping to get expert opinions from a bunch of Neanderthals then you've come to the right place!:thumb:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only stalker that's come across stone circles/ hut remains & the like, even with very old antler bits & bobs lying around.

Hello and welcome to the site,
prehistoric deer stalkers eh?
if you were hoping to get expert opinions from a bunch of Neanderthals then you've come to the right place!:thumb:

:rofl::rofl:

Look forward to your posts. Should be more interesting than the frequent what's the best calibre, scope, moderator debates !

sounds just as exciting as the fishing forum i used to frequent.

what rod?
what reel?
what lures?
basically, how can i buy a technical shortcut to success?
​(you can't you just have to spend hours on the coast figuring things out for yourself)

some of the members knew more about kit than fishing. all the gear, no idea.

i'll work out a set of questions for you in the next day or two. they have to be pretty specific otherwise it'll be a waste of everybody's time. looking forward to your responses.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, I knew I was getting on a bit, but bloody hell :old:

John

so what am i doing here then?

i'm an archaeologist and you guys have important knowledge that i need to access, if that's ok with you that is.

my speciality is prehistoric people for whom hunting deer was a central part of their lifestyle. i've read a book by a hunter turned archaeologist over in the US who used his experience and observations of prey species to help him work out what native American hunters were doing. i'm hoping that you can help me in a similar way.

cheers,

Rhod.

I am not an expert at all but logical thinking and a little deer stalking experience has tough me this:

1. Occasionally it is possible to get within touching distance from a deer. Generally because they accidentally run into you, but stalking quietly into the wind sometimes does the trick up to 15-20 Yards.
2. By sitting still in a high seat the deer will not see/smell you and often wander about right under your high seat.

Conclusion: To hunt deer most effectively without the use of fire-arms one has to be close and above them, so the best strategy for ancient hunters would have been to climb in a tree above a known deer run, sit very still until the deer are very close/under the tree, and and use a spear/bow&arrow, or thrown themselves down on top of them. In that case it would be an advantage if one is above 16St. in weight, which I am ;)

Please acknowledge me by name and not just as 'et al' in your Science Paper.

I am not an expert at all but logical thinking and a little deer stalking experience has tough me this:

1. Occasionally it is possible to get within touching distance from a deer. Generally because they accidentally run into you, but stalking quietly into the wind sometimes does the trick up to 15-20 Yards.
2. By sitting still in a high seat the deer will not see/smell you and often wander about right under your high seat.

Conclusion: To hunt deer most effectively without the use of fire-arms one has to be close and above them, so the best strategy for ancient hunters would have been to climb in a tree above a known deer run, sit very still until the deer are very close/under the tree, and and use a spear/bow&arrow, or thrown themselves down on top of them. In that case it would be an advantage if one is above 16St. in weight, which I am ;)

Please acknowledge me by name and not just as 'et al' in your Science Paper.
interesting stuff. how about if i told you that the evidence so far suggests that clearings were burnt to create new growth and an uninterrupted field of fire. the height thing throws a new slant on that - i'd assumed hides with hand signals to indicate which deer and when to fire and people working in groups. "on three, one... two... three... TWANG!" - the projectile points they were using were small and i'm guessing that severe injury or death of the target animal would only be achieved by multiple hits.

i'm still in the process of compiling the questionnaire. i thought before i went off all half-cocked i'd ask the head of archaeology at Cardiff Uni if she has any questions she'd like me to ask as she also has an interest in this area. i'll give her a day or two to respond before i chase her.

if anyone does want a reference in any work that comes out of this then when answering the questionnaire please include your name and i will be happy to oblige, in fact it's pretty much essential that you do.

be patient with me - stuff will happen soon.

Were they using bows or spears? Bow hunting is controversial these days but there are video's on the net showing some quite emphatic kills...

Were they using bows or spears? Bow hunting is controversial these days but there are video's on the net showing some quite emphatic kills...
they were using bows. i'll try the Ytube thing but i'm wary of having to wade through hours of bad footage. if you have any specific vids in mind then links would be good.

if anyone does want a reference in any work that comes out of this then when answering the questionnaire please include your name and i will be happy to oblige,.

Looking forward to seeing names such as Erik Hamburger, Bambikiller, 6pointer etc appearing in your book.

Back