Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New batch of ammo - terrible grouping

New batch of ammo - terrible grouping

I recently bought a new batch of the usual ammunition for my .243 (Sako Gamehead 113E)
    Went out yesterday to check zero and found the groups were about 2"- 2 1/2" which shatered my confidence!

The things I have noticed about this new batch are:

Firstly: they look different compared to the old batch- they're all polished and shiny.
    Secondly: its very hard to shut the bolt on them - you really have to push down hard.
    Thirdly: they don't group well compared to the old batch.

I went out today with some of the old batch I had left and got a nice group (for me) instantly which has restored my confidence.

I've never had problems with this ammo before. Does anyone have any ideas whats up with the new batch?
    Virtutis Gloria Merces

Probably come off a different prod line?, ... maybe some of the inspection procedures got short circuited?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Take them back,no confidence no point

I pulled some heads to weigh powder and measured seating depth variance on a few of these recently as an exercise in demonstrating the benefits of hand loading to a mate and struck lucky as they were, by pure coincidence, shocking! Used to be my favourite factory ammo and was very happy with them but these were not up to scratch and performed in a similar poor fashion to yours. Bad batch? Anyway, I seem to now have the contract to load ammo for another mate!

Just had a similar experience with Sako Gamehead, though in .222. Difference between batches was astonishing.

It was Sako ammunition that got me into reloading.

I was having problems with one batch which gave unusually poor groups, louder than usual noise on firing, difficult to eject spent cases in which the primer had separated and some loosely crimped damaged lead tips. I took the remaining ones back to the vendor and exchanged them for some Federal.

I still have half a box of Sako .243 twinhead 121e 100grn, I chronographed a round last weekend, again the primer was detached from the spent case, the MV was 3037 fps which is at the higher end for this sort of load.

To be fair I had previously fired several hundred rounds of Sako all of which had worked perfectly well, it may be that they are prone to quality control problems.

atb Tim

I use sako gameheads in 223 and have never found them to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cerealthriller View Post
    I recently bought a new batch of the usual ammunition for my .243 (Sako Gamehead 113E)
    Went out yesterday to check zero and found the groups were about 2"- 2 1/2" which shatered my confidence!

The things I have noticed about this new batch are:

Firstly: they look different compared to the old batch- they're all polished and shiny.
    Secondly: its very hard to shut the bolt on them - you really have to push down hard.
    The headspace of those cartridges is to long compared to the headspace in your rifle's chamber. I had a similar problem with Prvi cartridges in my Sako 75 (also in .243), they were just a touch too long. What make of rifle are you using? It would be worth measuring the headspace on those cartridges (I know you have returned them) and your rifle. You would need headspace gauges to measure your chamber, a local riflesmith may have them.

-JMS

What was the group size with the original rounds?

regards,
    ​Gixer

I use sako gameheads in 222 and in 243 and i think there great, been using them for a while now and never let me down. All bought from same supplier rite enough so he couldve bought a big batch and i may have been using the same batch all the time.