Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New .22!!!!Help!

New .22!!!!Help!

Hi guys. Spoiling myself for my 30th this year. Looking to get a new .22lr. I shoot at a range and go out for the bunnies. I want something that would sit halfway between the two disciplines. The rifle that has caught my eye so far is the CZ 455 heavy barrel with the thumbhole stock and also the new CZ mini sniper that will be making its way to the UK in about July/August time. So the question is, will a 20 inch barrell be more accurate then the 16 inch? Up at the range I am hearing all sorts of arguements for and against both lengths. Weight is not an issue. Im a lump of a bloke and used to compete in weightlifting/strongman/Judo so the difference of a few pounds changes nothing. I want accuracy facts! Thanks in advance guys, Tim.

The CZ is not a bad choice for what you're after. It won't hold it's own against a match rifle but they are usually very accurate rifles. I really don't think you will notice any difference in accuracy with the shorter barrel assuming you'll be using a scope. Don't forget that with 6" of moderator on the end the 20" is getting long.

The Sako Finnfire or possibly a BSA Century might also fit the bill.

I can't see the barrel length will make the slightest difference. I would think a .22 lr cartridge, subsonic or HV, would complete a full burn well within 16 inches. By the time you've added a mod the shorter barrel would get my vote for the rabbits. My .22 and HMR are both 14". If I bought another HMR I would get a longer barrel because they shoot better off sticks. But for .22 lr ranges I'd go 16.

OPTIMUM bbl length for a 22 is about 16"

LOTS more bang for your buck too if you shop around & pick up a 2nd-hand item...I know a few shooters that had a 455 & sold it to go back to the 452

A 2nd-hand Anschutz would be a better choice than a new CZ

Check out the HW60J before you do anything.

I shoot a cz with a 16" barrell and no problems atall with accuracy..

Have fun choosing your set up
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    OPTIMUM bbl length for a 22 is about 16"

LOTS more bang for your buck too if you shop around & pick up a 2nd-hand item...I know a few shooters that had a 455 & sold it to go back to the 452

A 2nd-hand Anschutz would be a better choice than a new CZ
    I don't think so... as long as we are talking the 452. CZ = Rugged rifles that shoot well and last lifetimes.~Muir

I use the 14" barrel Anschutz, and it is a hell of an accurate rifle,so I would not be concerned about the length issue.

Sako Finnfire all the way - cant believe no-one else has suggested one! Or you could pick yourself up a cheap target rifle and 'sporterise' it

+1 For the Sako Finfire , superb rifle and v.v accurate with either the sporter or varmint barrel.