Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 on the range

223 on the range

I plan to get a 223 for the range. Used my friends 223 A bolt on sunday and the barrel is to thin to shoot 50/60 rounds on a morning. After comparing a few rifles Ithink to get a Rem 700 Tactical. This has a 1/9" twist vs. the varmint 1/12". The tactical should allow me to shoot bullets up to 69 grain. If the SPS stock would prove unsuitable I can always change to a Boyds stock or one of Edi's stocks. A few questions
    - What magnification scope do you need to see a good detailed target at 200/300 meters ( maybe even 400 meters if the shooter feels confident). By this I mean being able to see the whit 1" centre of the target.
    - Has anybody imported a Boyds stock into Europe?

T3 Heavy barrel varmint or tactical, it is a machine

t3 heavy with a 1 in 8 twist shooting the 70s

T3 with a 1:8 twist is a good option. In mine i load Sierra SMKs, 69 HPBTs to magazine length and shoot to 400 m. I am now loading the 80 gn bergers with intention to go to the 900 mark using single loading with greater than mag lenth COLs. You will need a sloping 20 MOA base and a decent scope.

oh and being a wind reading god might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainstalker View Post
    T3 with a 1:8 twist is a good option. In mine i load Sierra SMKs, 69 HPBTs to magazine length and shoot to 400 m. I am now loading the 80 gn bergers with intention to go to the 900 mark using single loading with greater than mag lenth COLs. You will need a sloping 20 MOA base and a decent scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I plan to get a 223 for the range. Used my friends 223 A bolt on sunday and the barrel is to thin to shoot 50/60 rounds on a morning. After comparing a few rifles Ithink to get a Rem 700 Tactical. This has a 1/9" twist vs. the varmint 1/12". The tactical should allow me to shoot bullets up to 69 grain. If the SPS stock would prove unsuitable I can always change to a Boyds stock or one of Edi's stocks. A few questions
    - What magnification scope do you need to see a good detailed target at 200/300 meters ( maybe even 400 meters if the shooter feels confident). By this I mean being able to see the whit 1" centre of the target.
    Scopes. A 6-24 is plenty good enough for 5-600m. Saying that, I used to use a 6x42 meopta at 600 regularly, I think the quality of glass, and the rifle thinking I'm taking the pi55, is what made me hit those v-bulls
    good quality glass, with a nice fine reticule will do you well

​Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I had a Rem SPS Tactical. Drawback is the barrel is 20" although this won't hamper you at the ranges you're talking about.
    I swapped the hogue stock with an HS precision that I bought second hand, made a difference but the original shot ok once the trigger had been lightened up a bit.
    Prepare yourself for what is a rubbish extractor.

I sold the rem for a 1:8 Sako 75 with a longer barrel.

You definitely want a 1:9 or faster to digest the 69gr bullets which will do what you want to 600yds and you shouldn't need a rail for that.
    I've currently got a 6.5-20x Zeiss conquest on both the .223 and my .308, I could go for more mag but I wouldn't expect major gains from it.

T3 is a better rifle imo, again limited to 20" if I'm not mistaken. Rails etc are easy to source as with the rem, if you need it.
    If the mag length is an issue then get a .308 mag - same thing but with a smaller block at the back.

The T3 varmint is great - provided you can get one in 1:8. Tactical is, I think, expensive for what it is.
    Last edited by Milligan; 07-05-2013 at 20:29.

Steyr pro varmint is 1:9 with a heavy fluted 24" barrel and a lush set trigger.
    Stock is a little flexible but mine never touches the barrel.
    The 50, 55 and 62grain bullets I've tried so far have all shot within .5moa of each other at 100y!

I have imported a Boyds gunstock from the states Its not a problem and very easy to do. Takes about 10 days

I am new on the range, as I am a roughshooter. I shot my 7x64 with a 2.5-8x36 scope and my friends 223 with a Bauer 3-12x56. I go to the range to train for a bit of stalking, so I will mostly be shooting in between 100 and 200m. But I know that, if things go O.K, that I will be tempted to shoot 300 and maybe even 400m ( max distance possible ). The Bauer scope gives enough detail to properly know where you aim. The Leupold was lacking detail over 100m. The scope will be fine to shoot deer sized gam at much longer distances, but on target I had the idea of being underscoped. I played with the idea of finding somebody going to the US to bring me a Conquest.
    I start from the idea that a Rem Tactical should shoot O.K. Changing to a Boyds stock will only add $100 + transport and some work. The moment you have to add an extra 300/500 euro for a new stock, it's better to buy a T3 varmint. They only are about 300 euro more expensive than the Rem tactical.
    The T3 tactical is indeed a lot more expensive.