Thread: Earliest evidence of my developing enthusiasm for stalking unearthed!

Earliest evidence of my developing enthusiasm for stalking unearthed!

Hello everyone.

I spent yesterday afternoon clearing out stuff from my old room at my mother's house with Doc Marten. One of the things that we chucked out was about a hundred kilos of accumulated copies of Shooting Times, Le Chasseur Francais, Fluide Glacial and Viz. I decided to keep the oldest copy of each as monuments in my messed-up development. The oldest copy of Le Chasseur Francais dated from August 1992, the oldest Shooting Times from March 1993. So that means that during my 15th summer, whilst in France, I decided to come out as an aspiring stalker/hunter (I did it in French remember, so it was all the same word...) and plucked up the courage to go and buy a copy of Le Chasseur Francais despite the funny looks, which is hard when you're a teenager. That said, this was in a little village so not that unusual. I distinctly remember the anguish and embarrassment of taking that copy of ST to the till back in London though. But there you go, by then, I cared enough about this to walk through the shame barrier. Well that's how it seemed to me at the time anyway. I daresay the various newsagents really didn't give two hoots.

Oh, and the main topic on the cover of that first Chasseur Francais is "Quel calibre pour le grand gibier?". So nothing changes much.

Excuse me but what shame barrier?

Must be me I suppose but I have never had a problem buying shooting or hunting magazines or books. Have had a few runs ins with stores who won't stock or order them.

Used to have Shooting times delivered when I was in school. Talking about ferreting and shooting was quite normal for a group in out class. Same goes about motor cycles and their engines. Heck Andy brought the B31 he was re-building to school in his rucksack so they could clock the crank fly wheels up after fitting a new big end.

I know where you're coming from Pine Marten.... when the shopkeeper looks down his nose over his spectacles, you imagine him to be wondering if you could be the next nutcase with an unhealthy interest in guns.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

No idea what my Newsagent thought of this only gun nut in the village back in the 70's but they did well out of it:

Guns & Ammo
    Shooting Times
    Airgun World
    Guns review
    Country Sports (short lived)
    Mayfair

K

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Excuse me but what shame barrier?

Must be me I suppose but I have never had a problem buying shooting or hunting magazines or books. Have had a few runs ins with stores who won't stock or order them.

Used to have Shooting times delivered when I was in school. Talking about ferreting and shooting was quite normal for a group in out class. Same goes about motor cycles and their engines. Heck Andy brought the B31 he was re-building to school in his rucksack so they could clock the crank fly wheels up after fitting a new big end.
    I was pretty self-conscious as a teenager, but I daresay that's normal. It's just that I lived in Central London and didn't know a single person who participated in any form of fieldsports, barring the odd angler. So my developing interest was completely alien to just about everyone around me. As is often the case when bucking the trend as a teenager (and not doing so deliberately by going Goth or something, just turning out that way), my assumption would be that I would be met with disapproval. Actually, it was more along the lines of incomprehension. And probably more indifference than I thought at the time.

Shame barrier ?

What shame barrier, you are far more disturbed than I originally thought (after all you have chosen to live in London).

Hell in our village they sell dozens and dozens of shooting magazines. I do however look forward to visiting the newsagent or supermarket when in France as their choice of shooting magazine always seem far more interesting than those on sale at home.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Shame barrier ?

What shame barrier, you are far more disturbed than I originally thought (after all you have chosen to live in London).

Hell in our village they sell dozens and dozens of shooting magazines. I do however look forward to visiting the newsagent or supermarket when in France as their choice of shooting magazine always seem far more interesting than those on sale at home.
    I just coined the expression "shame barrier" because it sounded better than "self-consciousness barrier", but it is perhaps too strong a word to describe the magnitude of the emotions. Besides, this is a 15 year-old Pine Marten we're talking about. He was a lot shyer than the current version...