Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x47 Reloading

6.5x47 Reloading

Just getting ready to start reloading for a 6.5x47 (First time loader) looking at a Hornady 129gr SST, barrel 1:8 twist, 22" Barrel. Not too worried about starting loads, (although any help would be gratefully received) just looking to buy some powder and primers, so what Powder/Primers would be a good starting point?
    Cheers
    Mutley

Varget and cci benchrest primers are a favourite, good luck with finding the varget!

Cci 450 primers
    h4350 powder
    is my favourite I developed many 6.5x47 and they all shot well with this combo

I have used N140 and varget with similar results. Cci 450 primers (the magnum ones) are meant to be the best according to those in the know. I have some loaded but haven't had chance to try them yet. I have used 120g Sierra pro hunter and Nosler 120g ballistic tips for deer and the obligatory 123 scenar for targets. It's a cracking calibre that seems to invariably shoot well. Mine does so in spite of my shooting largely down to Redmists handy work. What dies have you got and is yours a tight necked chamber or minimum SAAMI spec?

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I have used N140 and varget with similar results. Cci 450 primers (the magnum ones) are meant to be the best according to those in the know. I have some loaded but haven't had chance to try them yet. I have used 120g Sierra pro hunter and Nosler 120g ballistic tips for deer and the obligatory 123 scenar for targets. It's a cracking calibre that seems to invariably shoot well. Mine does so in spite of my shooting largely down to Redmists handy work. What dies have you got and is yours a tight necked chamber or minimum SAAMI spec?
    I have a set of Forster Bench Rest Dies. Afraid you have lost me on the tight necked/SAAMI bit, feel I should probably know, will check with Gunsmith if it makes a big difference with my Die choice.

Dont worry about the chamber, if you can chamber out of the box lapua cases then you will have a SAAMI spec chamber but if you need to neck turn the brass before it will chamber then you will probably have a tight neck. Also you can tell by looking at the proof marks as a SAAMI spec will say 6.5x47 lapua whilst a tight neck will have something like 6.5x47 Lapua .292 nk so that you can easily tell that its a tight neck chamber
    Forster dies will work no matter what chamber you have and are of excellent quality.
    You really have picked a peach of a cartridge to reload, most rifles will shoot really well with a bit of load development. Which smith built the rifle for you?

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Dont worry about the chamber, if you can chamber out of the box lapua cases then you will have a SAAMI spec chamber but if you need to neck turn the brass before it will chamber then you will probably have a tight neck. Also you can tell by looking at the proof marks as a SAAMI spec will say 6.5x47 lapua whilst a tight neck will have something like 6.5x47 Lapua .292 nk so that you can easily tell that its a tight neck chamber
    Forster dies will work no matter what chamber you have and are of excellent quality.
    You really have picked a peach of a cartridge to reload, most rifles will shoot really well with a bit of load development. Which smith built the rifle for you?
    Neil McKillop has built it for me, its currently away for Proofing or is it Prooving??. Built on my Winchester Model 70 .243 action, 22" Stainless Pacnor Match grade Barrel, 1:8 Twist. I spoke to him today and its SAAMI not tight necked. He shoots 6.5x47 himself.
    Last edited by Mutley; 08-05-2013 at 22:08.

Hi mutley.
    I use N150 behind a 120 bullet with fed match primer but just got some 100 grain ttsx and need to get round to trying them but again ill be on same powder primer combo.
    Surely if your smith built it and uses the same calibre himself though he may have something of an idea for you
    Kind regards
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Hi mutley.
    I use N150 behind a 120 bullet with fed match primer but just got some 100 grain ttsx and need to get round to trying them but again ill be on same powder primer combo.
    Surely if your smith built it and uses the same calibre himself though he may have something of an idea for you
    Kind regards
    Jimmy
    He has given me one to start with which will cover most of my needs, Nosler 100gr BT, N135, CCI BR Primer. (Munty, Roe, Fox) I want to keep it as simple as possible to start with (Inexperience and cost). When I have sorted that I would then like to try a larger bullet (129gr SST's) and as there is not a great deal of info on loads for this out there so just wanted to and get a idea of what you guys were using.
    Cheers
    Mark