storage of reloading items

Pippa

Hi all,

As I'm considering getting into home loading my .308 and increasing the buy/store limits on my FAC, I started wondering about the storage requirements for the various items required.

I'm guessing that the 'non-dangerous' bits of reloading - press, dies, tools etc. don't need secure storage (legally, I mean, not just to secure them from light fingered louts), but how much of the bullet parts need secure storage? Do the shell casings for instance, need to be in an approved safe?

I've read a number of posts in the reloading section about the use of B&Q type safes and lockboxes for securely storing ammo, bolts etc. I'll call my FLO and check what is suitable, but I'm just wondering how big a safe I'll need!

I can't see me being approved for more than 500/600 .308 at present (I have 100/120 now) even on home loading, as I don't have land to stalk on and rely on bought days for deer - although I will be joining a full bore club next month (Tamar Rangers) which will give me somewhere to test fire loads, zero, and practice.

Based on a max of 500/600, how big a safe will I need? I have a top lock box in my existing cabinet to handle my current needs, but it won't be big enough to handle large numbers of rounds, especially as I have 1000/1200 for .22rf!

Cheers,

Pippa

Until the complete round is assembled, it is not classed as a bullet/round. There are limitations on how much powder you can store but for reloading purposes, I'd be surprised if you had that amount.

As to the amount you wish to store, if you are predominantly doing target shooting, I'd stick with 7.62 RG ammo, you probably can't reload for the price of it and it's good enough. For reloading purposes, the majority of people will have buy 500 store 600 predominantly for consistancy of batches, the chances are you will only have 100-150 reloaded at any one time, so your ammo safe will only need to store that amount.

Hope that helps.

TJ

Don't worry Pippa, storage isn't usually a problem, if you shoot enough you will soon learn to hate reloading and find yourself never having any loaded rounds and having to sit at your bench at midnight knocking out 10 rounds to stalk with in the morning!! (or is that just me?!) JC

storage

JC275 said:
Don't worry Pippa, storage isn't usually a problem, if you shoot enough you will soon learn to hate reloading and find yourself never having any loaded rounds and having to sit at your bench at midnight knocking out 10 rounds to stalk with in the morning!! (or is that just me?!) JC
AARRGGH!, How can you blaspheme so!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Expanding bullets before being reloaded is supposed to be kept locked away. If it is target bullets, they dont need locked away.

JC275 said:

I don't understand how any shooter could live like that! :confused: My shooting pal will often turn up with literally 5 or 6 rounds he put together 15 minutes before he left the house.

If I don't have at least 100 rounds ready to go of each calibre, I start to get anxiety attacks... :eek:

But then I am sad, and I like reloading.

Claret_Dabbler said:
JC275 said:

I don't understand how any shooter could live like that! :confused: My shooting pal will often turn up with literally 5 or 6 rounds he put together 15 minutes before he left the house.

If I don't have at least 100 rounds ready to go of each calibre, I start to get anxiety attacks... :eek:

But then I am sad, and I like reloading.
Me too!! 8)

Pippa

Just follow the advice given and you will be fine. Don't go contacting your FLO it could lead to all sorts of problems, especially if they do a bit of on the spot decision making and decide on all sorts of unnecessary security. They will have enough to do, without coming up with more good ideas, reloading ain't broke there is no need to fix it :D :D

John

Back