Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Humane dispatch feeling awfull

Humane dispatch feeling awfull

I was called out this morning to dispatch a deer knocked down just outside the village
    The woman who hit it had gone to him in tears she had hit a deer and it was still alive so he rang me.
    I duely arrived to find a doe laid in the verge wezzing and struggling to get up broken leg and I suspected internal injuries by the breathing.
    I sat in the van loaded the 12 and head shot her at less than 10yds.She was bagged up and carrying young.

I feel awfull now dispite having shot thousands of deer in my life and two bucks yesterday morning.

I know it had to be done but.

Do others find this part distressing or am I going soft

Not a nice situation for any involved but had to be done. The older I've got the softer I've become I don't mind telling you but at the end of the day you did the right thing by the deer which was the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    I was called out this morning to dispatch a deer knocked down just outside the village
    The woman who hit it had gone to him in tears she had hit a deer and it was still alive so he rang me.
    I duely arrived to find a doe laid in the verge wezzing and struggling to get up broken leg and I suspected internal injuries by the breathing.
    I sat in the van loaded the 12 and head shot her at less than 10yds.She was bagged up and carrying young.

I feel awfull now dispite having shot thousands of deer in my life and two bucks yesterday morning.

You have carried out the kindess option what else could have been done ? You couldn't "undo" the accident, even the most tallented Vet probably wouldn't have opted for a different course of action and with the Doe in obvious distress and no doubt pain you did the right thing. It is not pleasant having to do a humane despatch but you have done what many people could not do putting the unfortunate animal out of it's misery.
    It is human nature to feel remorse especially in these circumstances but the fact you are willing to do it is very commendable - you deserve a pat on the back.

Without wishing to sound like soapboxing, I cannot help get the all too frequent impression that there are stalkers and there are killers. It seems that often one is mistaking themselves for the other!

The ending of any life is ( just my view ) a cause for pause. But 'redemption' lies in doing the deed well and with respect for all that is entailed. In the case you have put, the animal was suffering and had no prospect of recovery, you did all concerned a good service.

That you feel badly about the taking of a life and no doubt the waste aspect is only a credit to you. Thank you for posting and hopefully it will give some readers cause to look at how they actually view quarry.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

At least she was in kid and not leaving a new born somewhere waiting for mum! You did the right think, sleep easy

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Without wishing to sound like soapboxing, I cannot help get the all too frequent impression that there are stalkers and there are killers. It seems that often one is mistaking themselves for the other!

The ending of any life is ( just my view ) a cause for pause. But 'redemption' lies in doing the deed well and with respect for all that is entailed. In the case you have put, the animal was suffering and had no prospect of recovery, you did all concerned a good service.

That you feel badly about the taking of a life and no doubt the waste aspect is only a credit to you. Thank you for posting and hopefully it will give some readers cause to look at how they actually view quarry.
    Well said that man. The very fact that you are having these feelings is because you care about your quarry and have compassion. These are admirable qualities. If there was a bit more care and compassion in the world we'd be in a much better place.

To retain compassion whilst remaining dispassionate enough to carry out a difficult task with skill and precision, is in itself a great skill.

You've done the right thing and you are not going soft. There are sometimes just certain circumstances that get to you. I teach vet students about the fall out from performing euthanasia, however necessary it is.

I've not put myself forward for this task, as I know I'd be staring at the walls into the wee hours going over it in case there was something that I could've done different.

Anyone who does though is to be commended, and has already been said, your first thought was to end the distress of the animal.

Raise a beer to the doe and wish her God speed...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

might be being thick but what happens to the young inside her. obviousley there is nothing that can be done but do they die instantley or after a few hours or what? im just curious after reading about a kangaroo that was killed but the young inside her saved. she was well on in the pregnancy mind. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post

I can never walk away without thinking about what I have done and I often feel regret and displeasure.