Thread: What to do with a redundant rifle - rechamber/rebarrel? Start again?

What to do with a redundant rifle - rechamber/rebarrel? Start again?

In my cabinet is a Riflecraft TMR1 in .22/250 which was built for me as a foxing truck gun a few years back by Andrew E-H at Riflecraft. It goes without saying that it has never given me a moment's trouble and still shoots easy sub half inch groups.

Unfortunately my foxing days are over - the keeper with whom I shot on weekly outings for years and years has retired: I could be interested in foxing on another estate but, frankly, we were mates and our outings were as much about catching up, exchanging a few jokes and having a laugh away from the cares of the world for a few hours, as much as they were about dealing effectively with his resident and visiting fox populations.

At the same time my active rifle shooting has tailed off a bit and though I help out with a local 100 yard range I cannot remember the last time I shot the local gallery range with either 6BR or 308. Oh yes, the 308 has just been sold.

Let me get to the point: I have this custom built .22/250 still with at least half of the barrel life left in it which is getting no use. Part of me says sell it and move on, part of me says get it rechambered/rebarrelled into something a bit more 1000 yardy either as a switch barrel in case some foxing crops up, or as a fixed barrel. What else is in the cabinet? Well, my last 308 is about to go, the 6Br is a rebarrel of my previous .22/250 and since rebarrelling has barely been run in. also have a stalker in 243.

I don't know.......

Ideas guys?

Sell it to someone who will appreciate and make good use of it. Then you have a clean slate and can think about what you really want in your next rifle, rather than pondering whether to cobble something new from something old (and always telling yourself "I should have kept this rifle the way it was". Your era of shooting with your mate is over, so let the rifle go to a new home and start a new era with a wholly new rifle. :-)

-JMS

You sound depressed, amigo. Get out and get shooting. Make some new friends. Then reevaluate.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Sell it to someone who will appreciate and make good use of it. Then you have a clean slate and can think about what you really want in your next rifle, rather than pondering whether to cobble something new from something old (and always telling yourself "I should have kept this rifle the way it was". Your era of shooting with your mate is over, so let the rifle go to a new home and start a new era with a wholly new rifle. :-)

-JMS
    Is what my instincts are. Well spotted!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    You sound depressed, amigo. Get out and get shooting. Make some new friends. Then reevaluate.~Muir
    I need to get out and make friends with another deer, this week! That's a plan.

any pix
    what will the be and comes with!
    what is the barrel etc

Quote Originally Posted by tikkathreebarrels View Post
    In my cabinet is a Riflecraft TMR1 in .22/250 which was built for me as a foxing truck gun a few years back by Andrew E-H at Riflecraft. It goes without saying that it has never given me a moment's trouble and still shoots easy sub half inch groups.

Unfortunately my foxing days are over - the keeper with whom I shot on weekly outings for years and years has retired: I could be interested in foxing on another estate but, frankly, we were mates and our outings were as much about catching up, exchanging a few jokes and having a laugh away from the cares of the world for a few hours, as much as they were about dealing effectively with his resident and visiting fox populations.

At the same time my active rifle shooting has tailed off a bit and though I help out with a local 100 yard range I cannot remember the last time I shot the local gallery range with either 6BR or 308. Oh yes, the 308 has just been sold.

Let me get to the point: I have this custom built .22/250 still with at least half of the barrel life left in it which is getting no use. Part of me says sell it and move on, part of me says get it rechambered/rebarrelled into something a bit more 1000 yardy either as a switch barrel in case some foxing crops up, or as a fixed barrel. What else is in the cabinet? Well, my last 308 is about to go, the 6Br is a rebarrel of my previous .22/250 and since rebarrelling has barely been run in. also have a stalker in 243.

I don't know.......

Ideas guys?

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    any pix
    what will the be and comes with!
    what is the barrel etc
    Ah. I don't yet have selling rights here, ven though I've been a member since 2009. I'll send you a PM.

ok feller thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tikkathreebarrels View Post
    Ah. I don't yet have selling rights here, ven though I've been a member since 2009. I'll send you a PM.