Roast roe haunch recipe????

palmer_mike

Hi there,
I'm looking for a recipe for roasting a roe haunch (a fairly trad one hopefully) for the family,
any hints???
Thanks for looking,
​Mike

I dont do recipes, but slowly braised in port would be a good start, juniper, rosemary and garlic would also help. Some fruity jelly and/or honey in with it would be good.

P-M, do you have slow cooker?, I do mine in one, about 6-7 hours, all I put is stock cubes, (2 pints), rosemary, thyme, button mushrooms, carrots, cubes of potatoe, you can also do the same in a pressure cooker, both recipes are very succulent. I have just taken one out f the freezer (and here is a one I prepared earlier) enjoy

patrickt

I just boned one on monday cut it and rubbed thyme crushed juniper berries and bay leaves into it then put it on the barbecue.

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Weigh the joint. Place the joint in a roasting tray and, if it's under 2kg, roast for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes if it's over 2kg. This 'sizzle' browns the joint beautifully. Turn down the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3 and roast for a further 12 minutes per 500g of meat. This should give you medium-rare meat: just pink in the middle. Reduce the cooking time to 10-12 minutes per 500g if you prefer it rarer. If you like using a meat thermometer, take the joint out at around 60C for medium rare, 55C for rare. Remove the meat from the tin, cover with foil and leave in a warm place to rest for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Weigh the joint. Place the joint in a roasting tray and, if it's under 2kg, roast for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes if it's over 2kg. This 'sizzle' browns the joint beautifully. Turn down the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3 and roast for a further 12 minutes per 500g of meat. This should give you medium-rare meat: just pink in the middle. Reduce the cooking time to 10-12 minutes per 500g if you prefer it rarer. If you like using a meat thermometer, take the joint out at around 60C for medium rare, 55C for rare. Remove the meat from the tin, cover with foil and leave in a warm place to rest for 20 minutes.

Perfect, thanks for that.
will try it very soon!
mike

Hi there,
I'm looking for a recipe for roasting a roe haunch (a fairly trad one hopefully) for the family,
any hints???
Thanks for looking,
​Mike

For a small roe haunch i can recommend the below. But it is best to do this with a fillet.

Season full haunch with olive oil, s&p - sear in a hot frying pan and put to one side.

in the same pan, fry 2 red onions (chopped so stringy) and a small amount of garlic until soft. Add red wine, salt and pepper and reduce, add more red wine (half a glass) and 6 teaspoons of red current jelly. Simmer and reduce, dont burn. Let it rest to room temp.

Get oven to 220, put haunch on a baking try, spoon some sauce over it for taste. Put in oven for 15-45 mins depending on size (pn or off the bone). Take out and rest for at least 15mins. Carve and put sauce (re heated) over the meat with onions. Serve with a green veg or 2 and mini roast tatties or whole baby new potatoes which have been roasted with lots of oil and s & p and paprika.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
tablespoon of dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of marmalade
mix together, smother and rub into surface leaving nice 1/4" layer if possible

hot oven 250deg for 20 minutes

take out, add 1/2 pint of cider to the bottom of pan, cover and turn down (time dependant on size of haunch and whether boned or not)

Roe responds well to fruit and I grew up on red wine and juniper venison so will try anything to avoid it!

This is by far the best... Stud said haunch with garlic and thyme...marinade in port for 24 hours with bay....junipers crushed black pepper and thyme...turn often.....cook in a low oven on a bed of onions and pore over the marrinade and cover with foil.....cook for about 4-5 hrs ....use the roasting juices to make the sauce ...pour into a pan add more port and thicken with cream then season.......ps i was a chef years ago lol

This is by far the best... Stud said haunch with garlic and thyme...marinade in port for 24 hours with bay....junipers crushed black pepper and thyme...turn often.....cook in a low oven on a bed of onions and pore over the marrinade and cover with foil.....cook for about 4-5 hrs ....use the roasting juices to make the sauce ...pour into a pan add more port and thicken with cream then season.......ps i was a chef years ago lol

Sounds delicious!!

It is and the marinade makes an amazing sauce...the left over meat if any can be put in the left over sauce cut coarsly to make a nice puff pastry pie for the next day...i often have this dish ...infact i might do it tomo now haha

I cooked a haunch of venison last night and it went down a treat, roughly chop up turnip, onions and carrots with some crushed garlic and put into a deep roasting pan, sit the venison haunch on top of the veg so it isn't touching the base of the pan (allows the venison to become more tender) cut some little slits into the venison and place bacon lardons into them, cover the venison in a rich beef stock (made from the stock pots from the supermarket) and stir in 150ml of red wine and add a few stems of rosemary,cook at 100-120'c for 3-4 hours basting the meat often. Once the meat has been left to rest for about 30mins you can just pull the meat off the bone, pour all the juices and stock into a pan and heat up (makes a great sauce)
Enjoy :)

As above but strain off juices whilst resting add to the juices three heaped dessert spoons of black cherry jam and the juice of half an orange and a slosh of port. Slowly bring to the boil to dissolve the jam. It will thicken as cools but if not then mix in some arrowroot. You now have the perfect gravy. The only thing missing is a good red wine, if you can get it I recommend a wine from Catalonia called Cabalie.
​enjoy

Back