Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worrying Scottish Red Deer Article from Guns On Pegs

Worrying Scottish Red Deer Article from Guns On Pegs

Just received my usual email update from Guns on Pegs and noticed this worrying article on Scottish Red Deer:

http://www.gunsonpegs.com/shooting/b...nPegs-B-Winner

Why is it that everything we read these days about deer numbers seems to be contradictory. One minute we are over run with deer and the next they are about to become extinct. I'm sure the true position is somewhere in the middle but all these extreme reports in the press or wherever it may be are simply not good for our beloved sport.

What are evryone elses thoughts on the matter ?

ATB

Stewarty

Quote Originally Posted by Stewarty69 View Post
    but all these extreme reports .........
    ...sell media.
    whether it be advertising through clicks or magazines on shelves

​if it was all fluffy and rosey no-one would buy them

Quote Originally Posted by Stewarty69 View Post
    Just received my usual email update from Guns on Pegs and noticed this worrying article on Scottish Red Deer:http://www.gunsonpegs.com/shooting/b...nPegs-B-WinnerWhy is it that everything we read these days about deer numbers seems to be contradictory. One minute we are over run with deer and the next they are about to become extinct. I'm sure the true position is somewhere in the middle but all these extreme reports in the press or wherever it may be are simply not good for our beloved sport.What are evryone elses thoughts on the matter ?ATBStewarty
    Thanks for the post. This is terrible news its time for action. I was sure this kind of crap only happened in Ireland.

It is a rehash of the article set out by SGA. There are estates shooting out deer. Forestry culls numbers but have better feeding so the vacuum draws in from the hills. Access to low ground is denied, so deer die on the hill stuck against a forestry fence. The habitat is constantly changing. We seem set to return to a Scotland 200 years ago. Wolves, beaver, forests of pine, we had a thread on compassion during deer dispatch. Why do we dig deep to fund trusts set on creating a habitat to the exclusion of deer.

You can't create a blanket statement for the whole of scotland as that's just nuts. Deer numbers are being reduced in some areas which is obvious especially when there are financial considerations but across many areas the numbers remain stable or actually increasing because of the new provision of habitat. It's way more complicated than just what the article tries to stab at.

Its a bit one sided that article, personally I'd like to see more tree cover in the highlands, and heavier deer control is a part of that, remember once the new woodlands are established and providing they are well designed they will hold more deer than the open hill, and those deer will likely be of better quality due to better feeding and shelter. They will just be harder to find!

Perhaps the author of this piece should be advised to go off and check on the accepted definition of the term deer forest

He might have a few points wrong, but generally the article is correct. We have an estate locally that employ 'contract killers' only we call them 'the assassins' (600 yard gut shots to drop beasts, then walk up and finish them off, allegedly. ) this is on a 5000+ acre newly planted native woodland, that is not totally enclosed and mostly just normal stock fence !

Quote Originally Posted by Mossypaw View Post
    He might have a few points wrong, but generally the article is correct. We have an estate locally that employ 'contract killers' only we call them 'the assassins' (600 yard gut shots to drop beasts, then walk up and finish them off, allegedly. ) this is on a 5000+ acre newly planted native woodland, that is not totally enclosed and mostly just normal stock fence !
    If i wanted to drop a deer one of the last places i would shoot it would be the gut.Can you explain why this would be their recommended shot placement?

Just aiming for the centre of a small distant target I suppose. They wouldn't make much money on head shots at that distance.