Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer vs Sheep

Deer vs Sheep

Can anyone verify the urban myth that Deer will not go into a sheep field

Alan

Never say never, but Roe in particular dislike sheep, and will avoid sheep or the ground they have been on even after the sheep have been moved, there again density plays a part not so bad on moorland or scrub land where sheep have a big area and the ground is less soiled, bad where its fields.

I've was also told that where there sheep you want find deer.

It is unusual but this is one that thought it was a sheep lived with them for a fair while

Can't speak for roe but I've culled woodland reds sharing the same pastures as sheep all within approx 1 acre.
    Might sound xxxx but I find from my experience that deer tend to look towards sheep observations from any on coming stalkers as they will tend to be the closest to us when out stalking. Again I witnessed that on the hill on woodland by taking into account sheep and there movement.

Seen 12 fallow in a field with sheep a few weeks ago. I think, as already stated, roe don't like mixing with them too much but am sure there will always be an exception to the rule!

True Reds are not bothered by sheep in the same way Roe are, certainly if you move sheep when stalking on the hill deer will move also as they know the sheep are moving for a reason the same if sheep suddenly spot you they will give a cough and stamp their feet alerting all the deer in the area.

I took a nice roe a few months ago ............there were 3 Roe that came into the field which had around 50 sheep in it and it didn't seem to bother them
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    I took a nice roe a few months ago ............there were 3 Roe that came into the field which had around 50 sheep in it and it didn't seem to bother them
    They would'nt worry about sheep if they were tryng to commit suicide though

I think we need to avoid absolute statments about deer behavour because as soon as we declare a situation as definitive invariably it's proved wrong, but in my experiance roe generally do seem to dislike grazing where sheep are whether this is because they both are trying to eat the same bite of grass or that they dont like to graze over ground sheep piss on i dont know.
    Also the old OP sheep dip could initially clear reds of ground too when the sheep were turned out but once the sunny scottish summer had given them a good rinse the deer drifted back in again. Fallow seem to be more comfortable grazing around sheep and try to raid the feed troughs when they can.