Thread: storing and using blood for training

storing and using blood for training

i froze some blood in some ice cube trays last year for traing my teckel, once i have thawed it i add some citric acid thinking this would keep it in its liquid form but it has made it very thick, have i added to much to it and should i be adding it to thawed blood or does the freezing process stop it from coagulating?
    it was relativley thin once thawed but i thought it might thicken so i added the citric acid.

Also does any one know how to get hands on a cheap set of tacking training shoes the ones you fix a couple of legs to?
    ​atb Tom

Once defrosted use it as it is. Do's not matter if its thin. The dog will follow the scent not the sight of the blood. Plus use it very sparingly.

Hi Mighty Buck,

Depending on quantity put the blood through a blender then through a metal sieve, then freeze, don't turn the blender on full speed if you do it will froth, it will froth anyway but once you pass it through a sieve it should be fine you'll find it won't congeal once it's been through the blender you'll also find a load of cr*p at the bottom of the sieve so you may need to give the blood a stir to get it through the sieve, parcel it up in containers then freeze try not to add anything to the blood. As Jagare says don't worry if it's thin it does thin when it's been in the freezer. As he also says the dog will follow the scent and not the sight of blood and don't use to much blood when laying a track.

It you have loads of blood then use a plaster mixer drill fitment and a drill.

Jason

Tracking shoes seam to be getting more and more expensive there are a couple of folks selling them you don't need anything to flash.