Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter or 595 in .223 ?

Hunter or 595 in .223 ?

I'm looking at buying a .223 to use on fox and deer and like both the Tikka 595 and the Hunter.
    I think the Hunter is 1 in 8 twist and the 595 is 1 in 12.

Any experiences / recommendations please ?.

Thanks,

fraser

I have a tikka t3 lite in .223 with a 1 in 8 and it handles anything from 55 grain upwards. I have been using some 60grn black hills v max and they are ace in my rifle. Would steer away from a 1 in 12 if your going to use it for deer?

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I'm looking at buying a .223 to use on fox and deer and like both the Tikka 595 and the Hunter.
    I think the Hunter is 1 in 8 twist and the 595 is 1 in 12.

Any experiences / recommendations please ?.

Thanks,

fraser
    I've been thinking along the same lines, either .223 or .222 (as my son now gets on well with the .22 and .17, so good excuse for another rifle!). Like the look of both 595 and Hunter but the Hunter action is not a true short / XS action which slightly puts me off so looking at the Sako 85 Hunter which is an action built to the calibre. I really want the rifle as compact and light as possible and I don't know about the 595 action.

The .223 T3 Hunter comes in 1 in 8 or 1 in 12 depending on which weight of bullets is your preference. .222 is 1 in 14 for I suppose lighter bullets.

Perhaps the Sako for it's true short action but still undecided. . . .

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    you will not beat the tikka 595 had a few over the years and also have still got a 590 in 243, the best of the old sako's then named tikka

i think the M before the number means it was the last of the sako made rifles befor the name change,

not sure if thats true but the 595 590 690 actions are far better than the tikkas t3 series,

just my opinion and i loved all of my rifles in this guise.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

The "M" stands for master

Quote Originally Posted by mr baddoo View Post
    The "M" stands for master

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/Tikka_catalogue2002.pdf

"let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Brilliant, thanks for sharing. I've long been on the look out for a factory synthetic stock for my left handed m595 IN. 243. Turns out they never did them by the looks of it!

Just to clear up some confusing bits. The Tikka models prior to the T3 all began with an 'M' prefix - M55, M65, through to M595, M695 ...... nothing to do with Sako or runout production.

The models prior to the T3 were called the 'Master' in the UK (Master M595 and Master M695) - medium and long action respectively. The same rifles were sold in the States as the 'Whitetail Hunter' (M595 and M695 again) in small numbers. There are some good reviews of these under that model name on the U.S. websites, but not many from the UK where thousands more Master models were sold.

The Master Lefthand was only ever made in wood/blue, so there never were any left handed Tikka synthetic or laminated stocks, nor LH aftermarket stocks that I know of from the USA. There were just too few LH sold over there to make this worthwhile, but RH replacement stocks are available.

I think the OP is talking about the T3 with wood stock - the T3 Hunter. This in .223 has the equivalent M695 action length (not the M595) and the Sako of course has a much smaller action altogether scaled down to the .222/.223 cartridges.

There's a mirror image post asking the same question as the OP's .....

Tikka 595 or T3
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Hi

I have had a M595 in .222 for more than a few years - if you can find one, with provenance, you will not go wrong.

I have no experience of the Hunter model so it would be wrong to comment.

Regards
    L

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Just to clear up some confusing bits. The Tikka models prior to the T3 all began with an 'M' prefix - M55, M65, through to M595, M695 ...... nothing to do with Sako or runout production.

The models prior to the T3 were called the 'Master' in the UK (Master M595 and Master M695) - medium and long action respectively. The same rifles were sold in the States as the 'Whitetail Hunter' (M595 and M695 again) in small numbers. There are some good reviews of these under that model name on the U.S. websites, but not many from the UK where thousands more Master models were sold.

The Master Lefthand was only ever made in wood/blue, so there never were any left handed Tikka synthetic or laminated stocks, nor LH aftermarket stocks that I know of from the USA. There were just too few LH sold over there to make this worthwhile, but RH replacement stocks are available.

I think the OP is talking about the T3 with wood stock - the T3 Hunter. This in .223 has the equivalent M695 action length (not the M595) and the Sako of course has a much smaller action altogether scaled down to the .222/.223 cartridges.

There's a mirror image post asking the same question as the OP's .....

Tikka 595 or T3
    thank you Sin

I was informed that the M was the end of the sake made actions before they became Tikka, it never sat well with me so i have now been told the correct meaning for the M 0n my M590 in 243. sad its no longer being used but thats life.

again thank you and kind regards

bob,.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube