Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauer 202 with leupold QR bases and rings.

Sauer 202 with leupold QR bases and rings.

Folks,

i just wondered if anyone has had any issues with the above rifle and rings/bases combination or just the rings, I recently tried to put a Swarovski habicht pv on and could not get it bore sighted as it was sitting high and right as per below pic and the other pic is the scope adjusted as far down and left as it would go, I know the scope is good and I know the rifle/mounts have worked with three other scopes (a hawke, a Barska and a nikko sterling)

oddly I also tried a zeiss on and it was sitting high.

could it be that certain combinations just don't work together???

I do not want to shim anything as to be honest I shouldn't have to with components of this type in my opinion.

regards,
    ​GixerAttachment 28074Attachment 28073

are the bases reversable or have you tried swapping rings front to back?

I use these a lot but havent come across any alignment issues (in fact i am looking for some bases for a mauser!)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    are the bases reversable or have you tried swapping rings front to back?

I use these a lot but havent come across any alignment issues (in fact i am looking for some bases for a mauser!)

The bases are different front and back but I did turn them 180 degrees and try swapping and turning the rings, none of which fixed the alignment issue, I tried a z6 on it and it was fine, then a zeiss which was also too high and have put a nikko sterling back on and it is fine... Very strange....

I also tried a set of med QR rings (as well as the high rings)

Just put a new Swaroski Z6 on my 202 and had to shim the rear rings by 20 thou to centralise the scope, only moved another 4 clicks to sight in. deerwarden

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Just put a new Swaroski Z6 on my 202 and had to shim the rear rings by 20 thou to centralise the scope, only moved another 4 clicks to sight in. deerwarden
    thanks deerwarden - was that with leupold QR mounts??

I had warne mounts on my leupold and it was way off the centre on my collimator, When I changed my scope, I used Burris 30mm Z mounts on weaver bases already in place, you can get extra inserts that have a plus and minus error to raise/lower or cant the scope to the side. The inserts swivel in the mounts so there is no twisting of the tube from front to rear mounts, you can buy kits to lap the mounts so they are inline etc, but this is exspensive. Burris have addressed this by allowing the mounts to align themselves, one shim of 5 thou photographic negative under the rear base moved the reticle bang on the centre of the crosshairs, in all it took an hour to do useing the Burris mounts, the previous week I spent around three hours trying to centre the recticle as best I could, but way over and low to the left on the first shot, reversed the weaver bases, but would have had to shim the scope dramaticly to get it on target with the cross hairs in the centre of thier adjustments. deerwarden

Agree with the comments above, http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html with offset inserts will sort out your issue and I have done this in the past. However my preference now is to put a rail on the rifle. Regards JCS

trouble is Burris do rings for Leupold standard bases but not the QR ones

if switching them front to back doesn't work it points to the bolt holes not being centrally aligned

I would try some other rings
    I have some 1" and some extended 30mm rings you are welcome to try to see if it is just your rings or if it is more sinister

Its interesting that this issue seems to happen as the Swaro in question is mine, I had the problem many moons ago with it on a remi 700 with leupold rings shimming sorted it then no problem on a sako 85 with optilocks and since having it back no issues on my HMR and zero is pretty much bang on center of adjustment. The remi now has a S&B 8x56 with no issue same mounts so whether there is more adjustment there its a strange scenario of what seems to work and what doesn't