Thread: Howa - moderators

Howa - moderators

As you all know by now, I'm awaiting delivery of a Howa 1500. I had planned to stick a Wildcat Predator 8 on it, but have read reports that the Wildcat is too heavy for the floating barrel and can cause it to press against the stock (Hogue overmoulded).

The Predator 8 weighs in at 690g according to the spec.

Met a chap the other day who put me on to a guy called Julian Savory who makes moderators. He has quoted me for one at 500g, at a favourable price compared to the Wildcat...

What are your opinions?

Is the Predator heavy for the Howa?
    Would you buy an 'unbranded' moderator?

Hi Pippa
    I have a wildcat p8 on a sako with a floating barrel,no problems there . Its not the lightest on the market ,but is completely strippable for cleaning ,which for me is the important bit ,works ok too , have a google and have a read up, price also may be a factor let us know what you decide on, regarding the unbranded mod I would stick with the tried and tested ,you get what you pay .All the best Brough.

Contact James Clark (Kaleiderscope) from on here. He might still have a modular A-tec left over, they weigh 470grams, are modular which means you can take out sections if you want it lighter and smaller, but less silencing. Best mod I ever had.
    Or try out one the new mods from Kal. I think around 500grams but I've never seen one in the flesh.
    A heavy moderator is going to annoy you as long as you have it.
    edi

hi pippa, this is my first post on here, ive just put a wildcat predator 8 on my tikka t3 hunter that ime more than happy with barrel is still freefloating and the point of ballance hasnt changed much to. the pes t12 might be worth a look?

Is there any A-Tec UK distributor at the moment?
    Looking at the website http://www.a-tec.no/ they have some new moderators.

One is 220grams ,two others 280 and 406 grams respectively.

Would be interested to hear any opinion on these!

Thanks,
    Greg

Re: Howa - moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Pippa
    As you all know by now, I'm awaiting delivery of a Howa 1500. I had planned to stick a Wildcat Predator 8 on it, but have read reports that the Wildcat is too heavy for the floating barrel and can cause it to press against the stock (Hogue overmoulded).

The Predator 8 weighs in at 690g according to the spec.

Met a chap the other day who put me on to a guy called Julian Savory who makes moderators. He has quoted me for one at 500g, at a favourable price compared to the Wildcat...

What are your opinions?

Is the Predator heavy for the Howa?
    Would you buy an 'unbranded' moderator?
    Total Inaccuracy, I have a Howa stainless 7mm WSM on Hogue overmould WITH a Wildcat on it, Sweet rig!! 8)

Re: Howa - moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Pippa

Julian imports the PES - lots of people swear by them (including Bruce Potts in every issue of shooting times).

well made, bloody heavy (you've probably been offered a small muzzle can or pES scout)

Had one, got rid, no better then my T4 which is the least forward protruding of all, if not the lightest - no good having a light long one in my opinion - short and fat is the way forward.

and they get lighter as they get older and bits rust off them

OK, interesting replies!

I think I'll be sticking with the Wildcat... If I find it's an issue I can always sell it on...

I've been told to call the dealer again next week for an update on the status of my delivery - they've had some of the current batch back from the proofers but mine wasn't with them, so fingers crossed for it being in the next set!