Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dismantling bullet to double check charge weight & rebuild, what issues???

dismantling cartridge to double check charge weight & rebuild, what issues???

On loading my 1st full batch of bullets I noticed, part way through, that somehow I had knocked the slider on the scales . It had only moved 0.2 grains but I did not know how many of the bullets I had loaded like this. I broke down 12 or so cartridges with a bullet puller hammer before I measured the original correct weight. I adjusted the charge accordingly but just re-seated these bullets in the case and did not resize the case . Before I use these as they are my 1st proper batch, after trying different charge weights I would like to know.

1) Is it safe ?
    2) Are they likely to perform as a bullet reloaded correctly 1st time ?

Or should I pull them all again, resize and start fresh ?????

One lesson learnt is always give the scales a proper check.

Thanks
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 11-05-2013 at 14:58. Reason: 0.2 grain not 2 grain

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I done the same thing way back and i did the full Monty so to speak,

i stripped them all down right back to the basics.

i never reused the primers but i neck sized the brass reset the scales and started the process again.

just my thoughts.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I done the same thing way back and i did the full Monty so to speak,

i stripped them all down right back to the basics.

i never reused the primers but i neck sized the brass reset the scales and started the process again.

just my thoughts.

bob.
    why dump the primers if you were neck sizing?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Hi mate I misread the loading info last month and dismantled the rounds to put the correct charge. Got advice off sisi and the lads on here. Dismantle, took the depriming pin out of the die, resize and carry on as normal with the correct load.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    why dump the primers if you were neck sizing?
    Hi Kenny,

I never re use unfired primers that have been removed, just me,

i must admit it was only 20 .308 rounds so no great loss anyway.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

But why knock the primers out ?
    Just pull the de-cap pin and away you go.
    If the pin doesn't come out like the Lee collet ones I just snap them off, but I don't de-prime with a sizing die.

Neil.

There's no reason to de-cap the unfired primers. Just withdraw the de-cap pin/expander ball on the die a little so it doesn't decap the primer, then resize the neck in the normal way. The expander ball on the de-cap pin needs to be present, to give the correct internal dia to the case neck when withdrawing the case after the neck has been resized in the die.

If you decap the primers, trying to refit them again is unwise. They will more than likely be a loose fit in the primer pocket and not perform as originally intended. Junk them and use only 'new' primers. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 09-05-2013 at 05:55.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

unlikely to present an issue,
    you may see some minute difference in neck tension as it is unlikely you took the bullet out and put it back in the same case.
    Bullets are neither perfectly round or all the same diameter

you could fire them and be perfectly safe in the knowledge that you may not become the next benchrest champion with them

or

you could pull the bullets (again), pull the decapping pin on your die and resize with the primer in

or

use a neck sizing die (without decapper if present)

or

get a crimp die!

How does one dismantle a "Bullet" then rebuild it and get the core back perfectly into the jacket?

Pulling "Bullets" from cartridges is a different ball game altogether and quite easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    How does one dismantle a "Bullet" then rebuild it and get the core back perfectly into the jacket?

Pulling "Bullets" from cartridges is a different ball game altogether and quite easy to do.
    Nah ! dis-mantling bullets, simples, I do it all the time.
    Just melt the lead core from the copper jacket, play around with it for a little while then melt the lead again, which would have solidified by now, then pour it back into the copper jacket - simples ;-)

Oh nearly forgot - I did learn a lesson once when trying to play with a few tracer bullets !!!!
    Last edited by EMcC; 09-05-2013 at 10:20.