Thread: H414& 243ai

H414& 243ai

Hi all,

i've been using h414 in my 243 ackley and had good results with 87grn v-max but am unable to find a published max load, does anyone have one handy before i work up to pressure signs please?

regards

ben

Hi Ben
    H414 is quite notorious for being hard to ignite & many different loads recommend using magnum primers. If you're working up a load be sure you're getting correct obturation as indicated by nice clean case necks after firing rather than sooty ones. The hotter magnum primers will get the charge burning properly but you do need to work up carefully as always.
    If you get poor obturation I think it will be harder to see the earliest signs of excessive pressure that are readily evident when the case/chamber seal is correct.

Ian

I've used 6mm Rem data as a guide for my 243 Ackley. The Berger manual is the only one I can see listing H414 with a max load of 43.4gr and a poor fill ratio of 91%. I have had good success with N160 and Hornady 87gr BTHP. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    Hi all,

i've been using h414 in my 243 ackley and had good results with 87grn v-max but am unable to find a published max load, does anyone have one handy before i work up to pressure signs please?

regards

ben
    Why is this something you wish to avoid? Seems inevitable.~Muir

Hi all,

regards

ben
    you wont find any published data for the AI,your going to have to work up the old fashioned way,on a personal note I would be using a chrono to see your speeds as pressure signs dont always show until its too late

Thanks for the replies, the cases are coming back clean and i am happy to go to pressure signs and back off but was just wondering whether anyone had a load they were using that i could use as a rough guide, not really looking for published data as such just a load someone has had good results from to work around.

Thanks for the replies, the cases are coming back clean and i am happy to go to pressure signs and back off but was just wondering whether anyone had a load they were using that i could use as a rough guide, not really looking for published data as such just a load someone has had good results from to work around.
    work around the top end charge of a std 243 load and go up from there,but use a chrono as you could be shovling powder in and gaining nothing

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    work around the top end charge of a std 243 load and go up from there,but use a chrono as you could be shovling powder in and gaining nothing
    True that.
    The case capacity difference between the std and the Ackley is about 7%. This means that your velocity increase will be in the neighborhood of 2% with all else being equal.~Muir