dsc1

bigadam

I am on with the revision reading the book a couple hours a week and watching sections on on dvd couple of times a week only thong im worried about os the shooting side of the test

On my DSC 1 shooting assessment the Course instructors were more than happy to give lots of help with using sticks etc and also firearms handling for the inexperienced members of the course.

​Adam

I dont have a rifle yet to practice with

I didnt have a rifle when i did mine mate. Granted i did have a friend that did and being in the military i do have firearms experience. Im sure there would be someone on here that would be willing to help. Even if it was just putting holes in some paper.

​Adam

When I did my DSC I used one of the rifles provided as did several others. Some had issues some didn't. We were allowed practice before the test and my first group were inside the target so I passed that part OK. Moving to the deer target I pulled one shot and had a second attempt. Without being disrespectful I did not like the loan rifle at all, I thought it was light and the grip seemed small however I relaxed and concentrated on the target and let my trigger finger pull and make the shot. theres no point thinking about the trigger when you should be concentrating on the target. if you feel tense, stop relax your grip, look away and then start again its not a timed exercise and the target is not pointing a gun at you so no need to rush. Watching others it seemed to me that getting tense and rushing were the problems.

Practice with a broom handle with a toilet roll on top and talk yourself through it.

But then what do I know?

Whatever you do, don't worry!

Although I plinked with airguns in the back garden as a kid, I turned up to my DSC having never fired a centrefire rifle in my life. I passed the test easily.

One of the more experienced stalkers struggled a little due, I assume, to 'performance anxiety'. This pattern seems to be very common - it's certainly mentioned on a few threads and I know that my instructors and a couple of AWs have said the same.

So relax. Try to get an airgun to practice with if you can. But in my experience, the shooting test is good fun if you don't stress about it.

Air rifle is a great idea! Maybe even get a 1/4 scale picture of the buck target and shoot at 25m, 17.5m & 10m?? I'm guessing someone on here could maybe do this by taking a photo of one, sizing it and sticking it onto either A3 or A4 paper. (There's a challenge for someone!!!:thumb:)
Most people that fail tend to struggle with the 70m part which is either sitting or kneeling and is clearly down to unfamiliarity or just basic lack of practice! You should get a decent set of sticks, preferrably either a stable tripod or an even more stable set of quad sticks. These can be made for about £10 from the green plastic coated B & Q garden canes. (I'll try and get some photos done of how to do this as I've been meaning to for some time now!)
Everyone is different and some will find sitting easier than kneeling and vice-versa. They may well try, but nobody will know what suits you best as an individual! You will have to discover that for yourself by trial and error!
There are however basic techniques which may help!
Kneeling - If you choose to kneel, and you are right-handed, have your right knee 'up' to support your right elbow which in turn supports the rear of the rifle. (Use you rigid bone structure to best effect!). Keep your back and neck straight for the same reason! Hunching over (sticks too low!) is not rigid and you can even notice your pulse beat affecting your aim. Sit on your foot/feet for added stability and have your other knee out at an angle. Make your sticks the right height for you, not the other way around! Know this height when measured against your body or mark your sticks!

Sitting - Again, don't slouch! keep your body rigid and use your skeleton to support. Use lifted knees to support elbows and the back end of the rifle. Many people find it easier to sit almost sideways to the target and have the sticks in line with both raised knees. Again, stick height is paramount to success!

The key to success with either technique though is practice! Probably the most common fault with shooters is 'flinching' or snatching at the trigger! Pressure should be gradually applied to the trigger so that you are almost unaware of exactly when it will go off! By the time you feel the recoil and realise that it has - the shot has already hit the target!

I hope this helps and we can get a 1/4 scale target produced? Also, what a great way to get our aspiring kids up and running??!!:D
MS

Big Adam,

Why not come up to the Greenlee DSC1 course earlier on the Friday morning (we start at 1.00pm). I will happily take you on our range and guide you through the DSC1 practical technicalities and how to deal with them.

We have everything here, bi-pod sticks, quad pod sticks you name it we have it. If I can't get you shooting every discipline which is
  • 100m= 3 shots in the zero target -
  • 100m= 2 in the deer target -
  • 70m sitting or kneeling = 2 in the deer target -
  • 40m = 2 in the deer target standing.

I'll give up malt whiskey.......:eek:

Relax and I'll see you on Friday morning 14th June :)

Best regards.

Jon.

Last edited:
Air rifle is a great idea! Maybe even get a 1/4 scale picture of the buck target and shoot at 25m, 17.5m & 10m?? I'm guessing someone on here could maybe do this by taking a photo of one, sizing it and sticking it onto either A3 or A4 paper. (There's a challenge for someone!!!:thumb:)
Most people that fail tend to struggle with the 70m part which is either sitting or kneeling and is clearly down to unfamiliarity or just basic lack of practice! You should get a decent set of sticks, preferrably either a stable tripod or an even more stable set of quad sticks. These can be made for about £10 from the green plastic coated B & Q garden canes. (I'll try and get some photos done of how to do this as I've been meaning to for some time now!)
Everyone is different and some will find sitting easier than kneeling and vice-versa. They may well try, but nobody will know what suits you best as an individual! You will have to discover that for yourself by trial and error!
There are however basic techniques which may help!
Kneeling - If you choose to kneel, and you are right-handed, have your right knee 'up' to support your right elbow which in turn supports the rear of the rifle. (Use you rigid bone structure to best effect!). Keep your back and neck straight for the same reason! Hunching over (sticks too low!) is not rigid and you can even notice your pulse beat affecting your aim. Sit on your foot/feet for added stability and have your other knee out at an angle. Make your sticks the right height for you, not the other way around! Know this height when measured against your body or mark your sticks!

Sitting - Again, don't slouch! keep your body rigid and use your skeleton to support. Use lifted knees to support elbows and the back end of the rifle. Many people find it easier to sit almost sideways to the target and have the sticks in line with both raised knees. Again, stick height is paramount to success!

The key to success with either technique though is practice! Probably the most common fault with shooters is 'flinching' or snatching at the trigger! Pressure should be gradually applied to the trigger so that you are almost unaware of exactly when it will go off! By the time you feel the recoil and realise that it has - the shot has already hit the target!

I hope this helps and we can get a 1/4 scale target produced? Also, what a great way to get our aspiring kids up and running??!!:D
MS

No need to reproduce the whole Roe target, simply get the A4 shoulder insert which is the area you need to concentrate on then scale this down on a scanner. atb Tim

I dont have a rifle yet to practice with

if you have land to shoot on, I can come down to Donny sunday, with a 22 rimfire and a 7mm 08 to let you have a practice.
some of my land locally has neighbours who dont mind a couple of shots but any more and the farm gets phonecalls.

Big Adam,

Why not come up to the Greenlee DSC1 course earlier on the Friday morning (we start at 1.00pm). I will happily take you on our range and guide you through the DSC1 practical technicalities and how to deal with them.

We have everything here, bi-pod sticks, quad pod sticks you name it we have it. If I can't get you shooting every discipline which is
  • 100m= 3 shots in the zero target -
  • 100m= 2 in the deer target -
  • 70m sitting or kneeling = 2 in the deer target -
  • 40m = 2 in the deer target standing.

I'll give up malt whiskey.......:eek:

Relax and I'll see you on Friday morning 14th June :)

Best regards.

Jon.

Hi Jon

I will take you up on that offer also if you dont mind as I have little time to practice being out here on the rig.
I love a malt whisky but when you pass me I will buy you one and myself and we can enjoy it together.
ATB

Dave

Back