Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the next course post dsc 1 & 2 lantra or bds dmq

What is the next course post dsc 1 & 2 lantra or bds dmq

Hi Guys

After completion level 1 & 2 what do you think the best way forward is after these two LANTRA or the DMQ

​Phil

Depends what your final plan is for your deerstalking future
    ​atb Steve

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi Guys

After completion level 1 & 2 what do you think the best way forward is after these two LANTRA or the DMQ

​Phil
    What about Stalking that would be more in line with your courses, seems to me your chasing paper and are missing out on the main event, forget you paper chase and enjoy the stalking and countryside, instead of the classroom ,to may illiterate academics on this site do the exact same, come on here with all the answers but no stalking knowledge or ability .

+1 with the Stalking option. The one thing you can't be taught is experience and experience tells me that the deer have never read the course notes
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    What about Stalking that would be more in line with your courses, seems to me your chasing paper and are missing out on the main event, forget you paper chase and enjoy the stalking and countryside, instead of the classroom ,to may illiterate academics on this site do the exact same, come on here with all the answers but no stalking knowledge or ability .
    I agree with widows son - best to get some practical experience under the belt. Apologies if you have a lot of experience already, but it sounded from your post like you had completed DSC 1 and 2 and were looking to go straight off for the next course. That's always an option of course, but IMHO you'll get a lot more out of it if you have good experience of the practicalities of managing deer.

I did my Level 1 around 2000, level 2 in 2004 and then the BDS Deer Management Course in 2010. Before, during and after there was a lot of stalking involved!

If your interest is in managing deer (for whatever purpose) then I can thoroughly recommend the Deer Management Course. Both BDS and Jelen run them, and both result in LANTRA awards. There is no "DMQ" after Level 2.

Whatever you decide to do - enjoy!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Definitely not a paper chaser, lol definitely in - experienced, only been rifle shooting, keeping, wildfowling n,ferreting, gun dog training, pigeon shooting, trapping, also in a full time employment in same work for 45 years and stalking for twenty of those, all it was - I had a discussion with a couple of guys, one had already completed the deer management course but didn't rate it !, the other had recently done or had underway a course with a private company. They intimated it was as it turned out, both were not all it was cracked up to be. And the term mentioned was "money spinner"

Hence the thread, I wondered if or what would be the best course in the-event of:

atb

​Phil

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Definitely not a paper chaser, lol definitely in - experienced, only been rifle shooting, keeping, wildfowling n,ferreting, gun dog training, pigeon shooting, trapping, also in a full time employment in same work for 45 years and stalking for twenty of those, all it was - I had a discussion with a couple of guys, one had already completed the deer management course but didn't rate it !, the other had recently done or had underway a course with a private company. They intimated it was as it turned out, both were not all it was cracked up to be. And the term mentioned was "money spinner" Hence the thread, I wondered if or what would be the best course in the-event of: atb ​Phil
    Phil

Ha! So experience isn't an issue then

So far as the course, it's really down to what they were expecting. The detailed syllabus of the Deer Management Course is published in advance, so anyone should know what they are letting themselves in for.

All I can say is that on my course everyone seemed well satisfied. It was intensive, fun and informative - just what was expected.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi Guys

​Phil
    Phil, I found having the LANTRA center-fire rifle/fox control L2 has been a great advantage when talking to farmers in a bid to get shooting permission for deer. My advise would be if you deal with individual farms go for LANTRA fox control, if you're planning to be more involved with large estate management maybe the BDS course is better suited.

Btw, after the the LANTRA fox control course I virtually stopped my foxing activities as only by doing the course did I begin to realise how stupid
    and unsafe me and a few friends had been conducting ourselves during night time lamping.

How about a cookery course?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Phil, I found having the LANTRA center-fire rifle/fox control L2 has been a great advantage when talking to farmers in a bid to get shooting permission for deer. My advise would be if you deal with individual farms go for LANTRA fox control, if you're planning to be more involved with large estate management maybe the BDS course is better suited.

Btw, after the the LANTRA fox control course I virtually stopped my foxing activities as only by doing the course did I begin to realise how stupid
    and unsafe me and a few friends had been conducting ourselves during night time lamping.
    I have thought about doing this fox course because I'm a complete novice at shooting foxes! Never done any lamping etc. Only been interested in bambi up to now.
    I've had opportunity to go out with people to show me the ropes and I am positive I am safe enough but I sometimes think it might be worth doing a course like this so at least I get a good grounding in "best practice" in case i need to go lamping at some point.

Where did you do your course?