Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness week

Wilderness week

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a sort of wilderness week with two mates this summer on my forest syndicate ground in Perthshire. The aim is to camp up and shoot/fish our meat for the week; foraging for firewood, swimming in the lake etc... giving reign to our instinctive Bear Grylls skills. If anyone has any tips from their experience to do with taking venison from field to pot in the field, campfire cooking or any other cool ideas, would you mind sharing them?

Any advice much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
    AJWH

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Hi AJWH
    Check any/all backcountry elkhunting sites in the US; there is a world of info. I know it's a b**hunting site but www.bowsite.com has some excellent threads on their Elk forum, and I'm sure you will some useful postings. www.elk101.com is more specifically aimed at elk (does what it says on the tin and all that) both rifle- and [predominantly] b**hunting.
    Be sure and post some photos; hunting vicariously via t'interweb gives all of us stuck in a office some breath of virtual fresh air
    Good luck
    Kenneth

Take Plenty anti-midge stuff and don't call it the lake when you are there .
    Have a good week

i do this abit and the new ground i am on will be even better as its on the coast so will have shelfish and fish to go with the venison . Heres my camp

how far do you want to go with it i take a dutch oven and a suspended fire so i dont damage the ground or start fires.

if you dont go that far just take a small barbi heres one i made for my griddle

heres a nice lobster thermadore done on the tripod

if you are on forestry ground you cant have a fire on the ground it must be contained and safe but common sence really.
    as for cooking i used to do the offal for a big breakfast and whip out the backstraps for a nice sandwich and i always took the rod for abit of fly fishing on one of the lochs for a nice brownie, atb wayne ps post how you get on .

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Water is the most important, clean water, nothing quicker for giving you the shxx , either take bottled or a purifier,

Quality photo's Wayne, looks like you had a feast going there!

We sometimes do it whilst Salmon fishing, camp out for the week at the river and catch most of our food, fresh Seatrout done in the pan for breakfast is my favourite.

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Wow Wayne!
    That looks funtastic!
    ​Your guests must be very pleased with a campsite and dinner like this!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by KBar1970 View Post
    Hi AJWH
    Check any/all backcountry elkhunting sites in the US; there is a world of info. I know it's a b**hunting site but www.bowsite.com has some excellent threads on their Elk forum, and I'm sure you will some useful postings. www.elk101.com is more specifically aimed at elk (does what it says on the tin and all that) both rifle- and [predominantly] b**hunting.
    Be sure and post some photos; hunting vicariously via t'interweb gives all of us stuck in a office some breath of virtual fresh air
    Good luck
    Kenneth
    Thanks Kenneth i'll have a good look through those sites. For sure, i've got a waterproof case for my canon now so not afraid to take it in the boat on the lake!

Deet ,sun screen (For optimists), poncho ,wet wipes, shovel , large cooking pot Cast Iron Stew Pot Camping Cooking Pot Dutch Oven Stock Pot Camp Fire Pan 4.5 L | eBay and of course plenty of alcohol .
    Last edited by Johno100; 09-05-2013 at 13:22.

Cheers Private Fraser and Johno. Don't worry, we're obviously calling it Narnia and the big round wet thing will only be referred to as our refrigerator for trout and beer (the latter not being free to float around of course).