Wanted: Rabbit/Hare/Game Bird access for falconer

Mickeydredd

Hi All

I am looking for some hunting ground to fly my goshawk on in Scotland, preferably Perthshire/Fife/Angus, but willing to travel further if necessary.

Mainly rabbit and game birds, but blue hare access would be very welcome! Ex-shoot land considered or willing to pay gun/half-gun rate for suitable access on active shoot.

SGA/SACS member and fully insured.

Please pm me if you know of anything suitable

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
hi im perebarbary, as you may have guessed im a falconer, did you have any joy with your ad as im looking for something along the same lines. thanks.

hi PB

No takers unfortunately, difficult to get much access up my way as a lot of the ground is either arable or estate with shooting interests.

Cheers for the bump though!

Mike

Hi Baguio

No, unfortunately not. They tend to hold brown hares too, whereas I'm after the white mountain hares.

Cheers
Mike

Thats the goshawk ready to go for the season, wee bump to see if any kind soul can help out.

Cheers
Mike

Well, the goshawk is going very well and I have had a couple of members kindly get in touch offering access later in the season.

If anyone else can help out then i'd be grateful to hear from you via pm. I'm on holiday this week and free to visit to have a chat in person. Blue hare access especially welcomed!

Rgds
Mike

A little pic.

IMG_3137.JPG

Last edited:
Bonnie looking bird it is, but I think you'll find it difficult to find anywhere, especially during the shooting season.

Best of luck though

thanks Pezz

The thing is that falconers also follow game seasons, the same laws apply as do to shooters. I have flown the bounderies of shoots with the gos as i only need to see a few gamebirds so dont need to be anywhere near main drives, in fact large numbers of birds is the last thing I want to see. I run a gsp so it is all controlled flights off the point. In fact, we tend to "dog" the wandering gamebirds back to where they should be!

I use ferrets to flush rabbits for the gos too, so farmland with a rabbit population also suit, which should present no conflict with the shoot.

The main difficult quarry to get access too is the blue hare as they reside alongside grouse so there is a degree of paranoia around having a raptor on the moor. Again though, the gos flown at hare from a point or walked up and will not cause any undue concern for grouse. She has never taken a grouse and in fact has only once even looked at one when a hare bumped it as she chased - she stayed on and caught the hare. There is a huge difference between a harrier coursing a moor and a captive goshawk flown under controlled falconry conditions. I do however understand the keeper's reluctance, just need to find an unmanaged moor!! lol

The main access I'm after is on rabbit, my local population has sadly fallen victim to VHD.

A wee pic from today's rabbiting outing.
GOS.jpg
Bonnie looking bird it is, but I think you'll find it difficult to find anywhere, especially during the shooting season.

Best of luck though

Last edited:
Back