Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: marksmanship(or lack of)

marksmanship(or lack of)

Whilst looking through member galleries one thing that jumps out is the massive differences in achieved accuracy,as an ex military shooter(sniper)i accept bad shots happen but if people are going to post pics of badly shot animals then perhaps that is the norm for them and if so PRACTICE untill you can kill the target humanely,everything we pull the trigger on deserves as quick and painless end as we ourselves would wish for if the roles were reversed from rat to stag,i'm sure i will be told everybody feels the same but some of the pics tell a different story.

could i ask what you are classing as poor shot placement?

i would quite happly shoot a fox head on in the chest (knowing it will die quickly and not suffer) i wouldn't take this shot on a deer.

same would apply to shots at bad angles. there are many shot which are humane but don't look like it and are used in some situations.

Andy7mm

Mintman , of the photographs of deer on members gallery, all look very dead to me . Dead is dead . Why do you think they are badly shot ?

Chill

How can you tell 'accuracy' from dead deer!
    Every one of those shots may have been placed very accurately where the shooter wanted them to go you just don't know where that point was.
    What and where is your idea of an "accurate" shot?
    Shot placement varies enormously dependant upon angle to target, distance , wind , equipment, calibre, confidence, species etc etc

Just had a look, a few foxes with their guts out. Could this be the angle of the shots?

A deer slightly quartering may have an accurate entry but the exit may look off.

It then might depend which side the deer is laid for the foto etc.

Cant see that everybody on here wouldn't agree that were all going for a humane kill.

Highlight the pictures your talking about !
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    Just had a look, a few foxes with their guts out. Could this be the angle of the shots?
    Personally, I always try for a chest shot on a fox and not the head as it's a very very small target and a little bit off is a maimed animal.
    The 55grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and 55grain Sierra GameKing I use in my 22-250 will generally exit with a pretty hideous exit wound even when shot front to back.
    There are exceptions and the occasional head shot...I choose not to post the "messy" side for artistic purposes and since some of us may be eating our tea!

Quote "not been out as yet due to getting competency with a weapon back to acceptable standards(left forces 22 yrs ago and not touched one since),would welcome any good advice as am a complete novice."
    As per your intro, some good advice........
    you can't tell what has happened from photos, it's a bold statement to assume poor shooting from pictures of dead deer or foxes, just because there might appear to be a poorly placed shot does not mean it was so. Plenty of humane and accurate shots can exit in less than perfect locations, it doesn't always look pretty, but dead is dead.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    that was my thought Dougster, an entry infront of the fore leg at could shot throught the heart and would exit in liver/gut. also a shot where the shooter thinks it is 100% broad side and is not could give the same exit/ or exit throught the fore leg.

Andy7mm

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    A deer slightly quartering may have an accurate entry but the exit may look off.

It then might depend which side the deer is laid for the foto etc.

Cant see that everybody on here wouldn't agree that were all going for a humane kill.

Highlight the pictures your talking about !
    My thoughts exactly!