Thread: scope to bore line

scope to bore line

hi all. Just a quick question, does having your scope very close to the bore line effect ballistics/trajectory?

scope to bore line

The lower your scope is to the centre of the bore line makes for easier ballistic table construction, & leaves your scope better use of adjustments in the vertical plane, also sitting lower on the receiver its more comfy to aquire a sight picture.

Re: scope to bore line

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    The lower your scope is to the centre of the bore line makes for easier ballistic table construction, & leaves your scope better use of adjustments in the vertical plane, also sitting lower on the receiver its more comfy to aquire a sight picture.
    dead right. it means that your aim off for closer targets is less. this is a point that lots of guys forget when they go for scopes with massive objective lenses.

ahh okk i see. Well i have a S&b 8x56 on my tikka t3 hunter.. i was told to go for the optilocks, the gunsmith only had in the exra low rings so the scope is a few mm off the bore line..

hi mate got the same set up as you but with medium optilocks gives me bout 6 mm clearance with buttler creek scope cover on got good cheek weld and zeroed up no probs

Quote Originally Posted by mo
    ahh okk i see. Well i have a S&b 8x56 on my tikka t3 hunter.. i was told to go for the optilocks, the gunsmith only had in the exra low rings so the scope is a few mm off the bore line..
    How can you have a 56mm objective and be only a "few mm" off of the bore line? You mean above the barrel, correct? The bore line would be half the barrel diameter below that space.

Another practical aspect of fat scopes mounted high above the bore line is that you increase parallax error when you need to raise your head off of the stock to center your eye on rear objective. Not a big deal for close shots but it can raise hell with distance shooting. It is for this reason that I prefer a 4x32 for my hunting, or a 3-9x32mm. I like the scope as low as possible.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by mo
    How can you have a 56mm objective and be only a "few mm" off of the bore line? You mean above the barrel, correct? The bore line would be half the barrel diameter below that space.

Another practical aspect of fat scopes mounted high above the bore line is that you increase parallax error when you need to raise your head off of the stock to center your eye on rear objective. Not a big deal for close shots but it can raise hell with distance shooting. It is for this reason that I prefer a 4x32 for my hunting, or a 3-9x32mm. I like the scope as low as possible.~Muir
    sory yes thats what i ment... above the barrel...